'Devices and Printers' is blank, hangs, empty

Anonymous
2010-01-25T21:14:27+00:00

Hi All:

I sincerely apologize if my specific problem has been solved already.  As the title indicates, when I open Orb -> Devices and printers it always shows up empty. I have tried every bluetooth related post including upgrading drivers, verifying the BT services (both) are running, the suggestion to use the IE8 registry cmd script etc.  Virtually all the posts were point at BT, so I disabled, uninstalled all drivers, re-enabled it, re-installed, etc. At each step I tried the Devices and Printers with the same results.

Adding some details: 

  1. My printers installed works prefectly
  2. My scanner installed and works perfectly
  3. 2 Phones with BT installed work perfectly including :make a call, transfer files (both ways), listen to/control music player, internet browsing via BT modem
  4. As with Devices and Printers, the Devices and Printers -> Bluetooth Devices is also empty (even while using BT successfully)
  5. This is my 4th W7HP install but my first with BT. The others have no issues in this area at all
  6. This is a brand new Asus 1201N, BT built-in, all drivers were pre-installed, Broadcom BT model, 2GB, 25GB HD, Atom 330.
  7. Drivers and Printers was empty from the first point at which the OS was configured after first power up.
  8. All of my machines have a C: for the OS and a separate D: partition labeled USERDATA. Never had a problem with this under Vista or W7. Very convenient for restoring (see below).

I AM PULLING MY HAIR OUT looking for a solution to no avail.  I use Paragon Disk Backup so I don't mind hacking my registry or other configs and am brave enough (fool hardy?) to try just about any suggestions since I can always do a full restore of the OS Partition.

Truly appreciate any feedback. Please, no "check your BT services". Been there, done that.

Regards,

Jeff

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-03-28T01:17:06+00:00

I just tried this and this FIX works ..

Click Start button, type "services" into the search program and files box. This brings up a list in the menu, select Services. This should open a list of local services on your system.., Find 'Bluetooth Service" and make sure it has started, right click and set to 'automatic' (mine was already set), Select "Bluetooth Support Service" and start, set to automatic (mine was set on manual) --

Really wierd. Debleena, can you please explain.

Regards,

Rakesh

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-02-18T01:52:18+00:00

    I think its terribly funny that less than 24 hours after i made the above post, (see the last line above) "magically" 7 people have clicked on "I have this problem too" and ALSO 7 people have just now clicked on the "Yes" this was helpful.   Obviously someone is stacking the deck here.

    Just for the record, I tried both of the reputed solutions and neither one directly solved my problem.

    My problem was mostly solved by enabling my hardware WiFi connection (using fn+F2 on my Dell laptop).   Then after stopping the "print spooler" service  (it usually doesn't stop but gives a timeout message saying it couldn't stop it) and then starting it again I was able to see the list of printers.

    The problem sometimes still occurs when I restart Windows, and I have to follow the stop and start 'print spooler' to get it working.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-12-13T02:48:40+00:00

    I have the same problem.  Devices and Printers will not display, printing is impossible (won't bring up the list of printers dialogue box) and often windows explorer hangs.

    Ran SFC it found no problem.   Bluetooth Support Service is also running.

    I also followed some checking that had been posted in how to insure there weren't any leftover printer uninstalls.  None of this worked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-12-01T14:13:40+00:00

    Hi LuisMiyar,

    I was having this same issue on 2 of my home computers and installing this hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2486635 finally resolved the problem.

    I hope it works for you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments