Display folder sizes in Windows Explorer

Anonymous
2010-07-08T15:02:20+00:00

I am trying to get folder size to display in the Details pane in Windows Explorer (in Vista).  When I had Windows XP (professional edition), it would display this down there, but not so with Vista.  In XP I could just click on a folder, and the size of the folder would be in the Details pane, but Vista doesn't do this.  (The only drawback was that the size of subfolders was not included there, only the size of the individual files in that folder; but just expanding the folder in the navigation pane, and then clicking on each subfolder, would allow me to figure this out.)  I will be leaving my office soon, and want to get an idea of the size of the files I want to carry with me (and how many CD's I might need--can't use USB memory drives on govt. system) when I go.  I have looked through Windows Help, but I can't find the answer to this question.  Anyone?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-08T23:42:30+00:00

Thesize is in the tooltip for a folder

--

..

--

"Arclight56" wrote in message news:2a687649-c233-4553-a1a8-4f3de6ab5cba...

>I am trying to get folder size to display in the Details pane in Windows

>Explorer (in Vista). When I had Windows XP (professional edition), it

>would display this down there, but not so with Vista. In XP I could just

>click on a folder, and the size of the folder would be in the Details pane,

>but Vista doesn't do this. (The only drawback was that the size of

>subfolders was not included there, only the size of the individual files in

>that folder; but just expanding the folder in the navigation pane, and then

>clicking on each subfolder, would allow me to figure this out.) I will be

>leaving my office soon, and want to get an idea of the size of the files I

>want to carry with me (and how many CD's I might need--can't use USB memory

>drives on govt. system) when I go. I have looked through Windows Help, but

>I can't find the answer to this question. Anyone?

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-08T17:16:32+00:00

Right click on the Folder and click on properties and it will show you the number of files, the number of folders, the sizes of each and other such details.  You can also hover your mouse over the folder and it will show tooltips which include the sie (but not so much information as properties).

I hope this helps.

Good luck!


Lorien - MCSE/MCSA/Network+/A+ --- If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-04-05T06:30:40+00:00

    A great solution indeed! Just go to the 30 subdirectories and one by one right click and choose this and that then write the figures on paper to sort them somehow. The most modern solution there is and funny enough this has been a known issue in Windows for a decade, but they just don´t care..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-03-29T16:45:52+00:00

    Seven years and about nineteen versions of Windows later, (and innumerable patches, updates and fixes) the OS still does not provide such a basic functionality.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-12-19T08:53:08+00:00

    That was when processors ran at 25 MHz. When my machine has six 4 GHz cores and 64 GB of DRAM, this is hardly an issue. This is the 21st century and it's not an issue on a $50 Raspberry Pi. This is really a foolish oversight that can be easily corrected or it is related to a basic design flaw of some sort that makes MS look stupid. The appearance of incompetence is probably worse than the lack of functionality.

    And everybody in the world is you right? There are no poor people, there are no developing countries; all people are you and have nice, fast, cutting-edge systems. ◔_◔ 

    Also, everybody’s systems are exactly like yours right? Nobody has 500,000 files distributed throughout 50,000 folders on a spinning hard-drive, causing it to grind away for a good 10 minutes while it enumerates the file-system; every computer has a small handful of files in a few folders which can be enumerated in 10 seconds, just like yours.

    That said, like I’ve said, performance wouldn’t be an issue if it was off by default and users had to choose to turn it on; then they would be responsible for the performance impact, just like they are when they make any other change to the defaults that impact performance.

    How is that relevant? If someone chooses to buy low end, then they turn it off and it has no effect. If someone wants to spend more on highend pc they get better performance and can do things the first person can't. Why is this a problem? It seems it is, but I really don't get why.

    Some of us like to spend more because it's our hobby as well as our profession. Why is it MS decided to dumb everything down so no matter what you can't get the highend features and performance any more? So dumb and so sad. One size will never fit all.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments