Well I can see that I have both gpedit and regedit set correctly to prevent automatic reboots, but this didn't work after Patch Tuesday today, I was faced with the logon screen when I switched the monitor on.
Actually, after a lot of digging around, I found out that apparently there had been a micro power outage or maybe rather a computer fault at 1:20AM, but the computer had rebooted automatically, so the 3AM Windows updates were installed automatically. They will
install as a system user even if no user is logged on. This unhappy coincidence is why it may look like they were the culprit because the first thing you see is the pop-up notification "Windows Update has installed several updates."
It would really help if Windows could display a "The computer has shut down unexpectedly at 1:AM" pop-up first, because there is nothing to tell users what happened. The only mention of it is in the boot screen, which is not visible as Windows restarts automatically
after 30 seconds, so the information is lost forever.
The only way to see what happened is to sort through several pages (28 pages in my case) of the system log in the Event Viewer administrative tool, which can't even be configured to filter out only the critical or error events from the View menu (although weirdly
and counter-intuitively enough, you can create a customized view when right-clicking on the log name.)
I was almost about to disable the automatic Windows Update when I found out about the unexpected reboot. No alarm clock or appliance was reset in the house, so I had no idea this happened. It would be great to have the power supply unit communicate with the
motherboard or Windows to log power outages, or to have the motherboard constantly test the PSU for power issues, or the CPU and GPU and all other temperature sensors logged as well, so we can investigate what happened and fix it if possible.
System: Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Edit: This is not a reply to Casandrita, just a generic post in the thread, but I could only see the "Reply" button, no "Post comment" button.