How do I stop Windows Update from restarting my computer in Windows 7 Home Premium?

Anonymous
2009-11-04T14:27:38+00:00

While I do not mind Windows Update automatically updating my PC, hacing it force a reboot when I am logged in is causing a problem.  I currently have WU set to perform the updates at 3am, and when it finished, if there needs to be a reboot, I am not there to tell it to wait.  I would prefer to leave the time settings as they are, and simply disable the automatic reboot, instead opting for WU to let me know it needs to reboot the PC.  I found ways of doing this in XP and Vista, including registry edits and group policy modifications.  However, The registry is obviously slightly different so the keys do not exist compared to what I found, and since I am running Home Premium I do not have gpedit.

Where in the registry can I make a change so I don't have lost data when WU resets my computer at night?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-05T21:05:54+00:00

Another way to do it without hacking the registry, which can be scary for some users), is to follow the instructions on the following website:

http://weblogs.asp.net/jgalloway/archive/2006/02/11/438009.aspx

I've pasted in the main parts of it, in case the link goes dead (but no nice pictures though):

  1. Go to Start -> Run(or in Vista and 7 simply press the windows orb)
  2. Type: gpedit.msc
  3. Expand Local Computer Policy / Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Windows Update
  4. Double-click "No auto-restart for scheduled Automatic Updates installations"
  5. Select "Enabled", then OK. Close the Group Policy configuration program.

That should stop it autorestarting.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-03-12T20:10:43+00:00

    Jimerb,

       What is it that doesn't work for you?  With Windows Ultimate, the post that Sokratees9 has should work.  Home Premium doesn't have the group policy editor which is why you need to go into the registry. 


    Mike - Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-08-14T13:19:16+00:00

    Mike, I think I can field this one. The fact that this isn't as simple as unchecking a box somewhere is what doesn't work. If there's an example of something that is fixed through Windows Update that can't wait until I finish my work for the day, I'd like to hear about it. Seriously - if this program is going to shut my computer down in the middle of everything, after I spent half an hour finding exactly the right information to read, and then go back to the home page upon reboot like what I was doing didn't matter, I would like to know why.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-08-16T16:51:54+00:00

    Just try installing the update via command line with WuInstall (http://www.wuinstall.com)

    Never triggers a reboot by default (only with /reboot or /reboot_if_needed)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-08-16T18:47:02+00:00

    Hi hs2n,

    Please note that posting SPAM in any Microsoft forum violates theCode of Conduct. Kindly read the document and adhere to its policies. We have deleted  the posts in question, but please know that you risk being banned from posting in all Microsoft forums if violation continues.

    Thank you for your cooperation


    Debra

    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments