How do I stop Windows Update from restarting my computer in Windows 7 Home Premium?

Anonymous
2009-11-04T14:27:38+00:00

While I do not mind Windows Update automatically updating my PC, hacing it force a reboot when I am logged in is causing a problem.  I currently have WU set to perform the updates at 3am, and when it finished, if there needs to be a reboot, I am not there to tell it to wait.  I would prefer to leave the time settings as they are, and simply disable the automatic reboot, instead opting for WU to let me know it needs to reboot the PC.  I found ways of doing this in XP and Vista, including registry edits and group policy modifications.  However, The registry is obviously slightly different so the keys do not exist compared to what I found, and since I am running Home Premium I do not have gpedit.

Where in the registry can I make a change so I don't have lost data when WU resets my computer at night?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-05T21:05:54+00:00

Another way to do it without hacking the registry, which can be scary for some users), is to follow the instructions on the following website:

http://weblogs.asp.net/jgalloway/archive/2006/02/11/438009.aspx

I've pasted in the main parts of it, in case the link goes dead (but no nice pictures though):

  1. Go to Start -> Run(or in Vista and 7 simply press the windows orb)
  2. Type: gpedit.msc
  3. Expand Local Computer Policy / Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Windows Update
  4. Double-click "No auto-restart for scheduled Automatic Updates installations"
  5. Select "Enabled", then OK. Close the Group Policy configuration program.

That should stop it autorestarting.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-03-22T02:25:16+00:00

    Hi,

    I tried this solution as well and it didn't make a difference. So far I've tried 3 solutions from this forum and nada.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-03-22T02:26:31+00:00

    Hi,

    I tried this and it didn't make any difference. Are my settings correct?:

    Trying this again. The screen dump didn't show in the last post.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-03-22T02:29:22+00:00

    Hi,

    I tried this and it didn't make any difference. Are my settings correct?:

    Trying this again. The screen dump didn't show in the last post.

    Again????

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-03-22T02:34:48+00:00

    Hi,

    I tried this and it didn't make any difference. Are my settings correct?:

    Trying this again. The screen dump didn't show in the last post.

    Screen dump not showing up so I'm manually showing the details:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

    Value name = NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers

    Value data = 1  (0x00000001 (1)

    Value Type = Reg-Dword

    Hexadecimal

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments