How do I stop Windows Update from restarting my computer in Windows 7 Home Premium?

Anonymous
2009-11-04T14:27:38+00:00

While I do not mind Windows Update automatically updating my PC, hacing it force a reboot when I am logged in is causing a problem.  I currently have WU set to perform the updates at 3am, and when it finished, if there needs to be a reboot, I am not there to tell it to wait.  I would prefer to leave the time settings as they are, and simply disable the automatic reboot, instead opting for WU to let me know it needs to reboot the PC.  I found ways of doing this in XP and Vista, including registry edits and group policy modifications.  However, The registry is obviously slightly different so the keys do not exist compared to what I found, and since I am running Home Premium I do not have gpedit.

Where in the registry can I make a change so I don't have lost data when WU resets my computer at night?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-05T21:05:54+00:00

Another way to do it without hacking the registry, which can be scary for some users), is to follow the instructions on the following website:

http://weblogs.asp.net/jgalloway/archive/2006/02/11/438009.aspx

I've pasted in the main parts of it, in case the link goes dead (but no nice pictures though):

  1. Go to Start -> Run(or in Vista and 7 simply press the windows orb)
  2. Type: gpedit.msc
  3. Expand Local Computer Policy / Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Windows Update
  4. Double-click "No auto-restart for scheduled Automatic Updates installations"
  5. Select "Enabled", then OK. Close the Group Policy configuration program.

That should stop it autorestarting.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-09-15T13:04:11+00:00

    Hi Debra, Thanks for your answer, it looks really helpful! By turning the auto updates off, that will stop the PC from restarting overnight, correct? That's all I need it to do and seems much easier than the registry change (I have 7 Home as well). Thanks again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-09-07T22:11:56+00:00

    I did forget... the pain from an unanswered question in 1994 was buried deep in my psyche and I've been in denial ever since.

    Debra, thanks for your reply. But it doesn't make sense to start a new question. The issue has already been described here, and my question dovetailed on the original thought behind the original question. The automatic reboot is causing a problem. Maybe it's a moot point to ask "why" after the fact. Maybe we should just count my question as a vote that, in the next release of Windows, updating at a time of our own choosing should be an option.

    Troubled, I don't actually have Group Edit capability or whatever. Apparently that isn't available on the home version of Win 7. I Googled the problem and downloaded a third party script or utility or something that was supposed to correct the problem for me. But thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-09-07T21:14:37+00:00

    In other words WriteOn, don't you dare question the fact that your question was ignored or the poorly thought out design that is forced upon users like yourself for managing when and how updates should take place. You should know by now that you either do it Microsoft's way, or else run the risk of being "banned forever"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-08-23T14:32:34+00:00

    Hi WriteOn,

    Please see the following article regarding automatic updates:

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Turn-automatic-updating-on-or-off

    If you have further questions, please start your own question and provide any details so we can further assist you:

    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu

    Thank you.


    Debra

    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments