How do I stop Windows Update from restarting my computer in Windows 7 Home Premium?

Anonymous
2009-11-04T14:27:38+00:00

While I do not mind Windows Update automatically updating my PC, hacing it force a reboot when I am logged in is causing a problem.  I currently have WU set to perform the updates at 3am, and when it finished, if there needs to be a reboot, I am not there to tell it to wait.  I would prefer to leave the time settings as they are, and simply disable the automatic reboot, instead opting for WU to let me know it needs to reboot the PC.  I found ways of doing this in XP and Vista, including registry edits and group policy modifications.  However, The registry is obviously slightly different so the keys do not exist compared to what I found, and since I am running Home Premium I do not have gpedit.

Where in the registry can I make a change so I don't have lost data when WU resets my computer at night?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-05T21:05:54+00:00

Another way to do it without hacking the registry, which can be scary for some users), is to follow the instructions on the following website:

http://weblogs.asp.net/jgalloway/archive/2006/02/11/438009.aspx

I've pasted in the main parts of it, in case the link goes dead (but no nice pictures though):

  1. Go to Start -> Run(or in Vista and 7 simply press the windows orb)
  2. Type: gpedit.msc
  3. Expand Local Computer Policy / Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Windows Update
  4. Double-click "No auto-restart for scheduled Automatic Updates installations"
  5. Select "Enabled", then OK. Close the Group Policy configuration program.

That should stop it autorestarting.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-03-12T20:10:43+00:00

    Jimerb,

       What is it that doesn't work for you?  With Windows Ultimate, the post that Sokratees9 has should work.  Home Premium doesn't have the group policy editor which is why you need to go into the registry. 


    Mike - Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-03-10T23:31:53+00:00

    this doesn't work in ultimate. 

    The horror show continues.

    So fin stupid.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-11-06T01:46:24+00:00

    gpedit doesn't work/exist in Home Premium.  Not that you can't probably download it and have it run, but the msc isn't there by the default install.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2009-11-05T04:33:34+00:00

    When I go to that branch of the registry, my editor shows the following:

    Do you want me to create the entire WindowsUpdate branch?

    I have made the change while awaiting your response, I'll let you know if it reboots next time it updates with a patch that requires one.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments