How do I stop Windows Update from restarting my computer in Windows 7 Home Premium?

Anonymous
2009-11-04T14:27:38+00:00

While I do not mind Windows Update automatically updating my PC, hacing it force a reboot when I am logged in is causing a problem.  I currently have WU set to perform the updates at 3am, and when it finished, if there needs to be a reboot, I am not there to tell it to wait.  I would prefer to leave the time settings as they are, and simply disable the automatic reboot, instead opting for WU to let me know it needs to reboot the PC.  I found ways of doing this in XP and Vista, including registry edits and group policy modifications.  However, The registry is obviously slightly different so the keys do not exist compared to what I found, and since I am running Home Premium I do not have gpedit.

Where in the registry can I make a change so I don't have lost data when WU resets my computer at night?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-05T21:05:54+00:00

Another way to do it without hacking the registry, which can be scary for some users), is to follow the instructions on the following website:

http://weblogs.asp.net/jgalloway/archive/2006/02/11/438009.aspx

I've pasted in the main parts of it, in case the link goes dead (but no nice pictures though):

  1. Go to Start -> Run(or in Vista and 7 simply press the windows orb)
  2. Type: gpedit.msc
  3. Expand Local Computer Policy / Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Windows Update
  4. Double-click "No auto-restart for scheduled Automatic Updates installations"
  5. Select "Enabled", then OK. Close the Group Policy configuration program.

That should stop it autorestarting.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-12-15T17:51:33+00:00

    I've got to admit I'm pretty surprised here.  I may not be a tech. whiz, or maybe my faith in ms is naively placed, but I can't believe I waited 70 hours while my dup-file checker was doing some major work, only to wake up today to find an auto-restart had completely screwed me.  I have a lot of work to do, and I need to get a lot of convoluted data organized, first.  This hold up is COSTING ME.  Software I PAID for is COSTING ME.

    [aside:] Anyone/everyone:  please don't get on my case about not initiating a process that takes so long.  It just so happens to be my prerogative and the most conservative way I can see to do what I need to do.

    MY POINT IS:  I really can't believe Microsoft - the software giant - would CONTINUE to allow this to happen.  I'm shocked.  Being protected with automatic updates = great.  Restarting my computer without my permission and while processes are running  = a violation.

    Here's what needs to happen NOW (via patch or 'update' or whatever):

    1.  Inform people upon initial installation that automatic updates and reboots are set to occur (for new users).
    2.  Allow people the option to turn on or off, either or both, the automatic updates and or automatic restarts (with appropriate caveats)
    3. When an update is available, regardless of the users settings, a notification is issued with the following information:

    a) An update is available (or has been downloaded, depending on which SIMPLE BOX   the user has checked).

    b) an option to view a brief description of what the update entails in both lay-man's terms or technical specs. - which ever suits the user.

    c) an order of importance - a rating scale - anything that states: "please restart within a week/24hrs/ASAP/immediately" - and make sure "the reason why" is covered.

    This way, if I'm in the middle of a time-consuming process, it won't be ruined - and if some security update requires immediate attention, I have the option of disconnecting from the internet to finish what I'm doing while remaining safe.  If I need the web for what I'm doing, it at  least remains my option to roll the dice.

    How is this NOT a no-brainer for the folks at Microsoft?!  I'd be happy to act as an "idea-man" for them if I earned some Bill Gates dollars.

    Moreover, Deb-the-microsoft-REPRESENTATIVE'S response in this thread also surprised me.  Not only not very helpful, but somewhat snarky.

    My subject line:  "WOW...  And still not sure of my best course of action"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-10-20T20:53:51+00:00

    Some people never turn off their PC's. If you are running a PC as a server or even if you are just a person who doesn't do regular shutdowns, missing some windows updates for long enough could cause your hardware to stop working or could allow software bugs to continue causing damage or at the very least irritation. 

    Setting it to automatically restart ensures those individuals who would not otherwise restart their PC's are still getting the necessary updates their system needs to operate smoothly. However, it should be an option easily turned on or off in Windows Update management. Not something you have to turn to the registry to change. Definitely not well thought out in that regard.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-08-29T04:23:07+00:00

    Thanks so much for your direct reply! Perform anything you like if it means I can get a straight answer. In my case, however, I would still prefer the choice. In my world, missing a deadline by the time it takes to recreate a day's work is no worse and no better in my client's eyes than missing that deadline by the time it takes to go out and buy a  new laptop.  And it would make so much more sense to hold Microsoft responsible for the actions of their own software than for the actions of some random idiot's software. At least they have control over their own code.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-08-28T22:58:58+00:00

    You must be kidding me Debbie C Forum Moderator... SPAM?

    What do you call Windows forcing a reboot when I'm in the middle of authoring content and making me lose work?

    You need to stop drinking the cool aid. Data loss is a number one violation of all software rules. You're making me go into the registry to change this setting?

    Microsoft deserves spam on this one.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments