Rundll32.exe missing, unable to reinstall rundll32.exe or open .exe files

Anonymous
2010-03-26T18:51:55+00:00

So I've looked around and figured out that a virus I had, XP Security, erased rundll32.exe when it itself was erased.  Now, I've found another copy on my computer in a recovery ISO that came with it (Thanks, MSI) but it's useless, because I CAN'T OPEN .EXE FILES.  I got internet explorer to open by selecting internet explorer in the Open With menu that appears every time I open a .exe file, and that worked for a few other programs (World of Warcraft, as well, mainly to test).

So, what do I do to open Rundll32.exe when my computer won't let me select Rundll32.exe as a program to open Rundll32.exe with.  I select it in the open with menu through browse, and it doesn't appear in the list of programs I can use, like Internet Explorer and WoW did.

I wanted to talk to someone on the phone for 5 minutes to figure this out, but that costs 20% of what my computer cost ($50, im on a netbook).  Come on, 50 bucks???  really, microsoft?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-05-09T13:49:47+00:00

thank you for your reply. Here is my problem. I am on a laptop at this time. My problem is with my windows xp home edition desktop. I cannot access a website or bring up a address bar to imput your link. Whenever i click on internet explorer or itunes or anything that has to be opened up, i get the "open with" box and it says "choose the program you want to use to open this file". I tried removing the rundll32.exe and it coming back into the folder.

When i go into folder c\windows\system32\rundll32.exe and delete the file,  i go back to search results and it comes back in the search results after a couple of seconds.

thanks again.

The goal is not to delete the rundll32 permanently but to replace it with a valid replacement. If your wfp is replacing the file then there is no need to continue deleting it.

That said, the easiest way to fix this is to use a flash drive (thumb drive) or other removable media to download and run the file on the link I gave to you. However, if you do not have access to removable media you can try to reassociate executable files manually.

CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager.  Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run).  This will open a Command Prompt window. On the command line type assoc.exe=exefile > Press Enter. You should receive a prompt the action was successful.

It sounds like your shortcuts may have been disassociated as well. On the command line type assoc.lnk=lnkfile > press Enter.

Next, click on the link below, download, update and perform a full scan with Malwarebytes.

Malwarebytes.org

How to use Malwarebytes

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-05-11T19:33:34+00:00

    I really don't know what to say to this. Maybe a ?. Are you having a bad day? I HAD started a new thread. I later did a search after reading direction on this forum and came up with THIS thread. I'm getting more mad as i type. Are you the forum police? If not, and if you don't have anything positive to say, then please leave me alone. I'm not your kid. i, unfortunately, don't have time to lay around these forums and mock individuals.

    I understand your frustration and I truly sympathize with you. However, I do not believe Davee meant his post to be sarcastic. He is correct in what he said that creating a new topic, giving us all the details of your problem and system is the best way to resolve issues. We are here to help you because we enjoy helping. We do not get any money or other benefits from the service we offer. We do this in our spare time completely free of charge. I am sure you can appreciate the frustration we sometimes experience trying to help someone when incomplete information is provided.

    With that out of the way, let's focus on your issue. At this point, I would ask you to refer back to my previous post and follow the directions to use a removable media device and transfer the files as instructed. Whether your computer is infected with malware remains to be seen. We will cross that bridge when we get to it. For now, however, we need to fix your file association issue. The files I uploaded for you to download should solve the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-06-24T23:06:59+00:00

    I am having this problem also - unable to open things like "User Acccounts" and many / most programs will not start normally.  My Antivirus (ESET Smart Security) says I have no infections.  I can not open Malwarebytes which I have installed.  The link above http://www.filemail.com/dl.aspx?id=MGKJAIFFMFBHANI

     no longer works, although I think that would help me.  This is on an XP machine and I have done the other things mentioned (replacing rundll32.exe and resetting the file associations for exe. )

    Thank you for your help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-06-27T04:49:23+00:00

    I am having this problem also - unable to open things like "User Acccounts" and many / most programs will not start normally.  My Antivirus (ESET Smart Security) says I have no infections.  I can not open Malwarebytes which I have installed.  The link above http://www.filemail.com/dl.aspx?id=MGKJAIFFMFBHANI

     no longer works, although I think that would help me.  This is on an XP machine and I have done the other things mentioned (replacing rundll32.exe and resetting the file associations for exe. )

    Thank you for your help.

    Are you still having this problem?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-06-28T06:23:35+00:00

    Yes, the problem continues. I found a copy of the rundll32.exe and copied it to the C:\windows\system32 folder, overwriting the file there, but I still am unable to run most programs (including Malwarebytes) and things in the Control Panel.  Some programs I can open by right clicking and selecting "run as..".  This doesn't work on Control Panel items. 

    What should I try next?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments