Rundll32.exe missing, unable to reinstall rundll32.exe or open .exe files

Anonymous
2010-03-26T18:51:55+00:00

So I've looked around and figured out that a virus I had, XP Security, erased rundll32.exe when it itself was erased.  Now, I've found another copy on my computer in a recovery ISO that came with it (Thanks, MSI) but it's useless, because I CAN'T OPEN .EXE FILES.  I got internet explorer to open by selecting internet explorer in the Open With menu that appears every time I open a .exe file, and that worked for a few other programs (World of Warcraft, as well, mainly to test).

So, what do I do to open Rundll32.exe when my computer won't let me select Rundll32.exe as a program to open Rundll32.exe with.  I select it in the open with menu through browse, and it doesn't appear in the list of programs I can use, like Internet Explorer and WoW did.

I wanted to talk to someone on the phone for 5 minutes to figure this out, but that costs 20% of what my computer cost ($50, im on a netbook).  Come on, 50 bucks???  really, microsoft?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-05-09T13:49:47+00:00

thank you for your reply. Here is my problem. I am on a laptop at this time. My problem is with my windows xp home edition desktop. I cannot access a website or bring up a address bar to imput your link. Whenever i click on internet explorer or itunes or anything that has to be opened up, i get the "open with" box and it says "choose the program you want to use to open this file". I tried removing the rundll32.exe and it coming back into the folder.

When i go into folder c\windows\system32\rundll32.exe and delete the file,  i go back to search results and it comes back in the search results after a couple of seconds.

thanks again.

The goal is not to delete the rundll32 permanently but to replace it with a valid replacement. If your wfp is replacing the file then there is no need to continue deleting it.

That said, the easiest way to fix this is to use a flash drive (thumb drive) or other removable media to download and run the file on the link I gave to you. However, if you do not have access to removable media you can try to reassociate executable files manually.

CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager.  Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run).  This will open a Command Prompt window. On the command line type assoc.exe=exefile > Press Enter. You should receive a prompt the action was successful.

It sounds like your shortcuts may have been disassociated as well. On the command line type assoc.lnk=lnkfile > press Enter.

Next, click on the link below, download, update and perform a full scan with Malwarebytes.

Malwarebytes.org

How to use Malwarebytes

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-05-10T22:12:24+00:00

    Please tell me how. I'm about to ditch this desktop.

    Honestly, you're still giving me half answers. When you receive the "Application not found" error is that all it says? Does is still give you the prompt to choose a program to open with? Atre the icons you clicking on shortcuts? If so, then the file association for your shortcuts have been compromised.

    You are gonna have to get a removable media such as a flash/thumb drive or a cd/dvd disc. Using a working computer download the files on the link below. Save them to the removable media. Take the removable media to the problematic computer. Right click on each file one at a time and choose merge. Confirm your choice.

    http://www.filemail.com/dl.aspx?id=JZCUTCTWZQHCAOO

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-05-11T11:52:59+00:00

    The problem is instead of beginning a NEW thread and giving us all the required information, you simply piggybacked on an old thread and didn't offer any information about what your actual problem is.

     

    For all we know, you have a very bad malware infestation.

    I really don't know what to say to this. Maybe a ?. Are you having a bad day? I HAD started a new thread. I later did a search after reading direction on this forum and came up with THIS thread. I'm getting more mad as i type. Are you the forum police? If not, and if you don't have anything positive to say, then please leave me alone. I'm not your kid. i, unfortunately, don't have time to lay around these forums and mock individuals.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-05-11T13:46:00+00:00

    I think you are the one having a bad day. I'm just trying to help you. The best way to get help is to start a new thread (this one dates back to March 26, 2010!) and give complete information about YOUR situation. This includes the make and model of your PC, operating system (e.g., XP Home, Pro, or MCE), PC specs (including size of hard drive and free space, amount of RAM installed), security software installed and whether or not it's up to date, XP service pack level, and malware status (including the complete text of any messages, windows, etc.).

    Looking at this particular thread, you jumped in on May 8, 2011 with very little information. You eventually gave more information but it still wasn't complete. Based upon the small amount of info you gave, there is a good chance you have a malware infestation. If you want help, you need to help us help you. It's your choice if you want to misinterpret and take offense or not.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-05-11T13:47:36+00:00

    What is a PATH statement?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments