Rundll32.exe missing, unable to reinstall rundll32.exe or open .exe files

Anonymous
2010-03-26T18:51:55+00:00

So I've looked around and figured out that a virus I had, XP Security, erased rundll32.exe when it itself was erased.  Now, I've found another copy on my computer in a recovery ISO that came with it (Thanks, MSI) but it's useless, because I CAN'T OPEN .EXE FILES.  I got internet explorer to open by selecting internet explorer in the Open With menu that appears every time I open a .exe file, and that worked for a few other programs (World of Warcraft, as well, mainly to test).

So, what do I do to open Rundll32.exe when my computer won't let me select Rundll32.exe as a program to open Rundll32.exe with.  I select it in the open with menu through browse, and it doesn't appear in the list of programs I can use, like Internet Explorer and WoW did.

I wanted to talk to someone on the phone for 5 minutes to figure this out, but that costs 20% of what my computer cost ($50, im on a netbook).  Come on, 50 bucks???  really, microsoft?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-05-09T13:49:47+00:00

thank you for your reply. Here is my problem. I am on a laptop at this time. My problem is with my windows xp home edition desktop. I cannot access a website or bring up a address bar to imput your link. Whenever i click on internet explorer or itunes or anything that has to be opened up, i get the "open with" box and it says "choose the program you want to use to open this file". I tried removing the rundll32.exe and it coming back into the folder.

When i go into folder c\windows\system32\rundll32.exe and delete the file,  i go back to search results and it comes back in the search results after a couple of seconds.

thanks again.

The goal is not to delete the rundll32 permanently but to replace it with a valid replacement. If your wfp is replacing the file then there is no need to continue deleting it.

That said, the easiest way to fix this is to use a flash drive (thumb drive) or other removable media to download and run the file on the link I gave to you. However, if you do not have access to removable media you can try to reassociate executable files manually.

CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager.  Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run).  This will open a Command Prompt window. On the command line type assoc.exe=exefile > Press Enter. You should receive a prompt the action was successful.

It sounds like your shortcuts may have been disassociated as well. On the command line type assoc.lnk=lnkfile > press Enter.

Next, click on the link below, download, update and perform a full scan with Malwarebytes.

Malwarebytes.org

How to use Malwarebytes

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-03-26T19:15:48+00:00

    Try this, click Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt. Type assoc .exe=exefile (note the space) and press Enter. You may have to restart the computer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-03-26T21:25:42+00:00

    Can't open Command Prompt, as "C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe is not a valid win32 application."  =(

    (when i open cmd prompt it asks me to open with.  I clicked cmd prompt again and it gave me that message.)  Thanks for the idea though, If I can get CMD open i bet that will work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-03-27T07:04:33+00:00

    As you cannot run the Command Prompt from a shortcut, try navigating to \Windows\System32, right-click cmd.exe and choose Open. If that fails try using the program command.com. Now try the assoc .exe=exefile command again and restart the computer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-04-01T14:59:58+00:00

    I am having a similar problem, after some katusha packed virus, for which my kaspersky said "restart to fix" and I did, and now have this problem on mostly with my main login id (the one that counts!).  On my son's login id, foxfire and some other things work but not everything is on that id. On the main id no applications open, I am given an "open with" option like Cooler mentioned above, but these don't work right or really open anything either.  On the main id, I lost all my lower taskbar links, including the one to my kaspersky, java, etc.

    From what I've read its a RUNDLL.EXE problem, I tried one reinstall fix that suggested looking in a difft folder and copying it from there and pasting it in Windows, but the folder they mentioned was not there. :(

    I have XP.

    What is this "command.com" that BurrWalnut mentions, if I try first suggestion and need to try this, what is it, where do I find it?

    ...help...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments