Rundll32.exe missing, unable to reinstall rundll32.exe or open .exe files

Anonymous
2010-03-26T18:51:55+00:00

So I've looked around and figured out that a virus I had, XP Security, erased rundll32.exe when it itself was erased.  Now, I've found another copy on my computer in a recovery ISO that came with it (Thanks, MSI) but it's useless, because I CAN'T OPEN .EXE FILES.  I got internet explorer to open by selecting internet explorer in the Open With menu that appears every time I open a .exe file, and that worked for a few other programs (World of Warcraft, as well, mainly to test).

So, what do I do to open Rundll32.exe when my computer won't let me select Rundll32.exe as a program to open Rundll32.exe with.  I select it in the open with menu through browse, and it doesn't appear in the list of programs I can use, like Internet Explorer and WoW did.

I wanted to talk to someone on the phone for 5 minutes to figure this out, but that costs 20% of what my computer cost ($50, im on a netbook).  Come on, 50 bucks???  really, microsoft?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-05-09T13:49:47+00:00

thank you for your reply. Here is my problem. I am on a laptop at this time. My problem is with my windows xp home edition desktop. I cannot access a website or bring up a address bar to imput your link. Whenever i click on internet explorer or itunes or anything that has to be opened up, i get the "open with" box and it says "choose the program you want to use to open this file". I tried removing the rundll32.exe and it coming back into the folder.

When i go into folder c\windows\system32\rundll32.exe and delete the file,  i go back to search results and it comes back in the search results after a couple of seconds.

thanks again.

The goal is not to delete the rundll32 permanently but to replace it with a valid replacement. If your wfp is replacing the file then there is no need to continue deleting it.

That said, the easiest way to fix this is to use a flash drive (thumb drive) or other removable media to download and run the file on the link I gave to you. However, if you do not have access to removable media you can try to reassociate executable files manually.

CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager.  Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run).  This will open a Command Prompt window. On the command line type assoc.exe=exefile > Press Enter. You should receive a prompt the action was successful.

It sounds like your shortcuts may have been disassociated as well. On the command line type assoc.lnk=lnkfile > press Enter.

Next, click on the link below, download, update and perform a full scan with Malwarebytes.

Malwarebytes.org

How to use Malwarebytes

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-05-08T14:04:11+00:00

    thanks for your help. When i go into folder c\windows\system32\rundll32.exe and delete the file,  i go back to search results and it comes back in the search results after a couple of seconds.

    thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-03-17T14:44:46+00:00

    Hi, it sounds like you may still be infected by malware. This is extremely likely considering the malware scanner you used. Ad-Aware is not the malware scanner of choice.

    Click on the link below and download Malwarebytes free version. Update the scanner and perform a quick scan. Remove anything detected then post back with the results.

    Malwarebytes.org

    If you need assistance using Malwarebytes you can click on the link below for instructions.

    http://www.repairbotsonline.com/t39-how-to-use-malwarebytes

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-03-17T12:13:54+00:00

    I've tried everything on this page and nothing has worked... :/ but I believe my problem is also within system 32 and with rundll32.exe

    My programs will not open unless I am able to right click and open them as admin.

    I had a spyware/adware problem and allowed Ad-Aware to "remove" the problems without looking at each one first to make sure none were system files. I also am unable to open things from Control Panel such as Mouse and Keyboard. It tells me "Application not found". Every error I experience is generated from C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe

    I wish I knew what else to try.

    Can anyone help??

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-08-28T00:59:09+00:00

    Yo Joelj1964, hi you doin'? I liked your 'to the point' instructions it grabbed my attention. Sir, I AM TECH handicapped. Also poor. I seem to create most of the computer injuries every few times I log on. Now I see on these pages I've stumbled on that my problem is common. I clicked the link as told in 1st par. exe.fix. What next? I'm not sure if anything has been corrected. 

    When you click on the link you should download the file and save it to your desktop. Then double click on the file and run it.


    I don't vote for myself I'm not here for the points. If this post helps you, vote. Visit my forum @ http://repairbotsonline.com/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments