Rundll32.exe missing, unable to reinstall rundll32.exe or open .exe files

Anonymous
2010-03-26T18:51:55+00:00

So I've looked around and figured out that a virus I had, XP Security, erased rundll32.exe when it itself was erased.  Now, I've found another copy on my computer in a recovery ISO that came with it (Thanks, MSI) but it's useless, because I CAN'T OPEN .EXE FILES.  I got internet explorer to open by selecting internet explorer in the Open With menu that appears every time I open a .exe file, and that worked for a few other programs (World of Warcraft, as well, mainly to test).

So, what do I do to open Rundll32.exe when my computer won't let me select Rundll32.exe as a program to open Rundll32.exe with.  I select it in the open with menu through browse, and it doesn't appear in the list of programs I can use, like Internet Explorer and WoW did.

I wanted to talk to someone on the phone for 5 minutes to figure this out, but that costs 20% of what my computer cost ($50, im on a netbook).  Come on, 50 bucks???  really, microsoft?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-05-09T13:49:47+00:00

thank you for your reply. Here is my problem. I am on a laptop at this time. My problem is with my windows xp home edition desktop. I cannot access a website or bring up a address bar to imput your link. Whenever i click on internet explorer or itunes or anything that has to be opened up, i get the "open with" box and it says "choose the program you want to use to open this file". I tried removing the rundll32.exe and it coming back into the folder.

When i go into folder c\windows\system32\rundll32.exe and delete the file,  i go back to search results and it comes back in the search results after a couple of seconds.

thanks again.

The goal is not to delete the rundll32 permanently but to replace it with a valid replacement. If your wfp is replacing the file then there is no need to continue deleting it.

That said, the easiest way to fix this is to use a flash drive (thumb drive) or other removable media to download and run the file on the link I gave to you. However, if you do not have access to removable media you can try to reassociate executable files manually.

CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager.  Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run).  This will open a Command Prompt window. On the command line type assoc.exe=exefile > Press Enter. You should receive a prompt the action was successful.

It sounds like your shortcuts may have been disassociated as well. On the command line type assoc.lnk=lnkfile > press Enter.

Next, click on the link below, download, update and perform a full scan with Malwarebytes.

Malwarebytes.org

How to use Malwarebytes

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-05-10T13:39:37+00:00

    anybody check the PATH statement?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-05-10T12:29:58+00:00

    thanks. I followed the directions, but still cannot open i e or microsoft word or ............ I am getting an error box that says "application not found". Is there any way to restore this to an earlier date? Also, where and how can i find and get a good version of interntet explorer? I can't even try to open internet explorer because it is either corrupted or gone.

    thanks again for your time in this matter.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-05-10T01:47:25+00:00

    i am not able to open executable files. I also am on a laptop, not the desktop that is not working properly.  I recently downloaded the i e 7. I had been using i e 6 for quite some time with no problems. I wonder if i caught a virus when i tried to upgrade. I can't access the internet now and i have broadband connection working on 2 other computers (laptops).

    thank you very much for trying to help me. That was a nice message that you sent.

    Thank you for the comments. Let's fix this. Click start > control panel > Folder options. Click on the File types tab. Click the New button. Click on the advanced button. In the dialog box type exe. In the drop down menu locate Applications. Click on it until it is highlighted then click OK. Now, restart the computer. You should be able to access your exe files now.

    Next, click start > run > type inetcpl.cpl. > Ok. In the Internet Properties window click on the Advanced tab > reset advanced options button. Confirm your choice. Now click on the connections tab > LAN settings button. Place a check mark in the box to Auto detect settings and make sure there is NOT a check mark in use Proxy. Connect to the net. Post your results.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-05-10T01:08:15+00:00

    i am not able to open executable files. I also am on a laptop, not the desktop that is not working properly.  I recently downloaded the i e 7. I had been using i e 6 for quite some time with no problems. I wonder if i caught a virus when i tried to upgrade. I can't access the internet now and i have broadband connection working on 2 other computers (laptops).

    thank you very much for trying to help me. That was a nice message that you sent.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments