My recycling bin has disappeared and I cannot find it.

Anonymous
2010-04-16T13:55:29+00:00

My brother went on my laptop and after he was finished, he said he 'deleted' my recycling bin. I'm not sure if that is what happened, but I cannot find it. I have searched for it, and it isn't showing up.

Help greatly appreciated.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-04-16T15:33:05+00:00

Hi,

Just for general info first: Your brother may be right. It actually is possible to delete the recycling bin, or more specifically the recycling bin shortcut. If you right click on the recycle bin icon two options are of interest here "Empty recycle bin" and "Delete". If you click recycle bin you win, the recycle bin is emptied. If you hit delete, which it sounds like your brother did, it deletes the icon itself.  So that's why it's gone...

So getting the recycling bin back, here's how. This solution works for Vista and Windows 7:

Right click on a blank area of the desktop. You will see the option for "personalize", and mouse over and select this. On the left hand pane under the personalization menu you will see "Change desktop icons". Click on this.  From here a tab will come up showing a check-box for major desktop icons. One of those icons is Recycle bin. Go ahead and check the checkbox. Click ok and the recycle bin will re-appear on the desktop.

Hope this helps,

Steve <> Microsoft Partner

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-04-16T15:42:20+00:00

Right click your desktop, select Personalize. On the left pan, select Change desktop icons. Put a check on the Recycle Bin, and press Ok.

Your recycle bin icon will be back!

--

Dustin Harper

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

http://www.mstechpages.com  Microsoft News, support, FAQ's and much more!

"Martin.992" wrote in message news:de2b7b40-6711-44d2-af33-7786b3f2e8cd...

My brother went on my laptop and after he was finished, he said he 'deleted' my recycling bin. I'm not sure if that is what happened, but I cannot find it. I have searched for it, and it isn't showing up.

Help greatly appreciated.


Dustin Harper *** Email address is removed for privacy *** http://www.mstechpages.com --- Windows Help and Support Page

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-04-01T00:36:01+00:00

    Hi Harry

    The instructions in my January 2cnd post should work for you if you are using Windows7 

    It may work on other OS too, but I was specifically referring to W7 here.

    Let us know if you are still stuck and we can look again. - Ric.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-03-31T23:01:24+00:00

    Hi, Harry.  I did the steps RicW gave me and it worked for me.  I'm not computer savvy enough to have any other ideas - sorry, hope you find a solution.  Donna

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-03-31T21:42:31+00:00

    OK, I've got the same problem, but checking the box in Personalize DOES NOT WORK.

    The only way I can get to the recycle bin is through Disk Cleanup, click Recycle Bin and click View Files.

    Any Ideas?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments