Move or copy a print job to another printer

Anonymous
2009-04-02T03:30:57+00:00

Is it possible to move or copy a print job to another printer?  My problem is I printer a few documents from the web to a printer that was offline (not plugged into my USB port).  Is it possible to move or copy those print jobs to another printer I have on my system?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-04-02T10:49:39+00:00

Hello mjpalm,

Typically if you reconnect the printer, the print job will still be in the spooler for that device. If when you reconnect the printer the job does not print automatically you go into the print properties for that printer, right click on the print job and click restart.

At this time there is no function to grab print jobs from one print queue and place them in another print queue.


Judd

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-14T22:13:18+00:00

    Actually, I was able to successfully use the port change only once.  I can't make it work again.

    I don't know if it has to do with which printer is set as the default printer, and/or if that needs to be changed when doing the port change.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-22T21:11:59+00:00

    Yes it would if e.g. :

    you print with a PS driver and the other device understands PS as well of cause ignoring the options that are not present on the substitute device. (e.g. printing black & white if the first one was a colour device, printing two sheets one sided instead of one in duplex, etc.)

    The same applies to PCL (5) and PCL XL (PCL6).

    It's not going to work for GDI print drivers unless they are identical...but who is using GDI for network printing?

    Btw...there's an old feature called printer pooling which connects identical print devices to the same printer via several ports, so if one isn't available it queues it automatically to the next ready device.

    Just as an example....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-01-09T19:02:26+00:00

    this is old but for anyone else that has this issue, yes. you just need to switch the ports and the driver to the other printer

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-07-13T12:30:07+00:00

    I read your "work-around" to the problem of moving a print job from one printer to another.  I wanted to tell you that this is not a "work-around" but a "fix".  You were very clever to figure this out and I wish you would share this fix with more people, because it works perfectly.  Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments