Move or copy a print job to another printer

Anonymous
2009-04-02T03:30:57+00:00

Is it possible to move or copy a print job to another printer?  My problem is I printer a few documents from the web to a printer that was offline (not plugged into my USB port).  Is it possible to move or copy those print jobs to another printer I have on my system?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-04-02T10:49:39+00:00

Hello mjpalm,

Typically if you reconnect the printer, the print job will still be in the spooler for that device. If when you reconnect the printer the job does not print automatically you go into the print properties for that printer, right click on the print job and click restart.

At this time there is no function to grab print jobs from one print queue and place them in another print queue.


Judd

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-06-21T20:54:57+00:00

    Great lateral thinking Daniel it worked for me...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-05-06T16:34:12+00:00
    1. Open Printers and Faxes.
    2. Double-click the printer that holds the document(s) you want to redirect.
    3. On the Printer menu, click Properties.
    4. Click the Ports tab, and then do one of the following:

    To send documents to another printer on the same print server

    - Click the port to which the other printer is assigned and then click **OK**.
    

    To send documents to a printer on a different print server

    The printer must already exist and be shared on the print server.

    - Click **Add Port**, click **Local Port**, and then click
    

    New Port. Type the name of the other print server and the share name of the shared printer in the following format:

    **\other_print_server**share_name

    Thank you....worked well!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-03-29T18:50:44+00:00

    This thread is awesome!  I didn't find an exact answer to my problem written here, but it inspired me to find the answer on my own.  For years, my HP Photosmart C795 printer has been creating a ghost printer of itself on our laptop.  It gets so confusing never knowing which printer is the online one.  I just purchased a brand new laptop, and ALREADY a ghost appeared.  Naturally, I hadn't even noticed 2 printers had installed on the brand new laptop.  S, of course, I printed to the wrong one.  I tried to switch the document to the other one, but to no avail... until I saw this thread.  The message about looking at the printer port was a stroke of genius!  I simply switched both printers to the same port and suddenly, I have 1 printer again, and my document printed!  So, thank you very much!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-03-17T20:23:03+00:00

    Thanks! Worked like a charm.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments