Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing or corrupt. Status:Oxc000014C

Anonymous
2009-01-07T21:35:27+00:00

Hello - can anyone help me find a solution to my problem?

My problem:Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing or corrupt. Status:Oxc000014C

I tried everything the sytem advised from going through safe mode etc.. I also attempted to reload my OS - which was last updated via windows update site. However, it did not work - probably because of all the updates from MS which meant that it would not load from the DVD.

It was a completely new custom system with MS Vista Untimate 64 bit, Office 2007, Asus MB, 250 GB HD ATI video card. I was using Vista for almost a year and had no probelm prior to today. All original software.

I have my thesis and several files I was working on for someone -  I was doing some consulting work for to supplement my income as a student.. Unfortunately, when I last used my system last night it was ok. Now I canot get my system to work.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-01-08T21:00:37+00:00

Thanks Mark for your comments.

I ended up contacting Microsoft directly and they were able to get my system up and running without me losing any of the data. Hooray for Microsoft!

My system is back to normal and I am making sure all my files are backed up on DVD's.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-11-23T22:29:03+00:00

    Mark,

    I accessed the link you provided and went to three different tech sites.  The info was great.  I only have one question and already think I know the answer, but just want to be positive, as I am not formally educated in these matters of technology with an understanding beyond my own questioning.

    Is Windows Vista an OS based in XP (only an upgrade of that OS)?  Would a boot disk prepared for XP SP2 give me the capability to load my Vista Home Premium OS after receiving the system registry error message and being unable to load the OS?  If Vista is just an extension of XP technology (an upgrade), I would think this logical.

    I not only got the 'system registry' error, but when I tried to do a boot install from my recovery disk, after I clicked to install, I got an error stating it could not find a necessary driver file.  I did not know which file or how to extract it from the install or drivers and utilities disk from the command prompt.  Could you maybe recommend a good source for information on how to work from the command prompt (eg. how to and what commands to use)?  It would be greatly appeciated.

    I spent $120 getting my system back up and running and know if I just had a little better understanding, I could have done it myself.

    Thanks,

    Teri

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-11-24T00:29:36+00:00

    Ive got a similar problem, one of my 3 hard drives dissapeared midway through a file transfer. i restarted my pc and another hard drive had disapeared but the first reappeared. i turned off my pc and then checked all the connections and restarted my pc. the second hard drive that dissapeared had steam installed on it. when i went to reinstall steam on one of the other hard drives i got an error saying the drive doesnt exist. after looking through the steam support forums i followed advice to remove steam from my registry. after doing this and restarting my pc i got and error saying

    "Windows failed to start. a recent hardware or software change might be the cause. to fix the problem: 1insert your installation disk and restart, 2. choose language setting and click next, 3. click repair your computer.

    if you do not have this disk (i do have it), contact your sysadmin for assistance.

    File: \Windows\system32\config\system

    Status: 0xc00000e9

    Info: Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing, or corrupt."

    i CANNOT load safe mode, and when i try to repair my pc using the install disk the system recovery options box shows up however it is unable to find my hard drives, despite them showing on the boot manager list.  when i try to copy files off of the disk as mentioned below i get an error saying "the system cannot find the drive specified" even though it is there. a

    Any help would be appreciated, i am unable to even do a fresh install of vista as the drives do not show up.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-11-24T00:29:45+00:00

    Mark,

    After fully reading the info re: BartPE, it does not specify Vista as a compatible Windows OS in the list.  If Vista is built upon XP (earlier question I asked of you), it seems logical that I could create a BartPE XP bootable disc and install Vista after installing the necessary drivers and registry information if unable to install Vista stand alone from OEM Recovery Disc.

    I got myself into this situation by deleting a necessary partition containing the NT necessary elements to install from the OEM Recovery Disk.  In order to get up and running, as I was dependent upon my computer daily for work, I installed an older OS (2000-Dell 8200-80 GB HD) onto my system (Dell Inspiron 530 with Vista Home Premium-300 GB HD).  It worked, but I have much less functionality, speed and graphic capabilities than came with my system from the distributor.  Also, it created a situation where over 200 GB of my HD were inaccessible and I could not format them either from within the OS (before reinstall attempt) or from the install disk (they were unavailable for use - grayed out).  I wanted my computer back to full function and usability.

    It ultimately messed up my registry and compatibility with my hardware components (some anyway).  I wanted to get back to the original state of purchase install. 

    I called Dell and tried to explain exactly what had happened and what I needed, and all they did was sell me another Dell OEM Recovery disk, which I already had.  A wasted $20.

    In trying to boot install from the new Dell recovery disk (only difference was that this disk included SP1, where my original did not), I got stuck in a loop with errors regarding drivers missing and system registry errors that would not allow a boot install of Vista.  After failing the boot install, my system would not boot up at all, either from disk or alone.  What a mess it was.

    I want to create a boot disk so that if I ever have any situation again where I can't install or repair my OS, I can at least get to a point where I can boot to the desktop and access the old OS if nothing else, but preferably reach a point where I can install the way I want.  Since BartPE does not specify Vista as compatible, should I rely on using it for the purpose for which I intend?

    Teri

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-01-22T08:12:31+00:00

    Hi Teri,Mark and others -i hope ther's somthn here for all of you- and soz 2 hear about your problem,unfortunately you've gone past the 'easy' recovery steps and complicated things-(@mark)Regarding xp boot-if the disc is formatted  as NTFS-(rather than the old Fat16, Fat32)-well ,you're in luck there as the disc and hddrive are at least compatible-......as i said  above re -you've gone too far for the quick and easy,here is a way to get a dozen or so boot options/repair/restore/safe mode/safe mode with networking,bootlogging,debug,driver signature blah blah blah----well,about 2 seconds after u turn your pc or laptop on,(despite screen saying f2 and f12 (my toshiba does this for bios and recovery disks-(if you made1)-ignore that -you should have a splash screen of some sort- hit f8,to get the above options including system restore,safe/safe with command/safe with networking,at least this will get u into your system and not knowing enough about your situation-it is not easy to comment further----if ,for example ,u boot to safe mode,do u know how to access your different partitions? from the command prompt -type dir/w/p    this will show you the disc data and programs,maybe some tools,you might be in c:\windows\system32> after starting in 'safe' mode with command prompt,to try and find if your partitions are intact:, to access some tools from here -dir/w/p    the w is a WIDE switch and p is a PAUSE  (so the contents don't rush past),if you can't use anything (tools or programs)-type help .at least this will explain how to use the tools(if u r in your windows directory or at a command prompt from way back ,ms-dos).if u have a d: partition, just type d: and hit enter,  to go to the 'root' of the drive , cd\ and hit enter, then it should look like d:/>  ....then dir/p or dir/w/p to inspect the contents----do this for a:  and e: and maybe f: if you have multiple drives and partitions-you may be able to find n fix your O.S. or at least put a fresh install on another drive that won't interfere with wanted assignments or woteva-you also read the files and directories from your cd-dvd this way,---Now-to ACCESS a directory named toolz, you would type cd tools , eg on your dvd drive-    now to get back to the root ,either cd\ or cd.. (if you are in say d:\windoze\system\toolz and want to get back to 'system' directory, this is when cd. is most usefull,otherwise cd\ will take you to the 'start' of the disc or hd,-----   cd. and cd.. take u backwards 1 or 2 steps, hope this gives some general manouverability to several of the posters,--ALSO if u can't format all your drives cos some are greyed out-best to just get 1 up n running first,drivers can be sorted later as well,from control panel----system....format a usb stick as a boot drive with some tools -some pc mag site should be able to help u with this...i'm going for dinner-good luck!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments