Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing or corrupt. Status:Oxc000014C

Anonymous
2009-01-07T21:35:27+00:00

Hello - can anyone help me find a solution to my problem?

My problem:Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing or corrupt. Status:Oxc000014C

I tried everything the sytem advised from going through safe mode etc.. I also attempted to reload my OS - which was last updated via windows update site. However, it did not work - probably because of all the updates from MS which meant that it would not load from the DVD.

It was a completely new custom system with MS Vista Untimate 64 bit, Office 2007, Asus MB, 250 GB HD ATI video card. I was using Vista for almost a year and had no probelm prior to today. All original software.

I have my thesis and several files I was working on for someone -  I was doing some consulting work for to supplement my income as a student.. Unfortunately, when I last used my system last night it was ok. Now I canot get my system to work.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-01-08T21:00:37+00:00

Thanks Mark for your comments.

I ended up contacting Microsoft directly and they were able to get my system up and running without me losing any of the data. Hooray for Microsoft!

My system is back to normal and I am making sure all my files are backed up on DVD's.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-10-31T04:26:16+00:00

    Thanks for the instructions Uri.Tz. I had a similar issue with my Averatec All-in-one desktop. I copied the  SYSTEM.OLD file and rebooted. My system came back with all the data intact. The recovery disk pop-up is misleading though. As soon as the system reboots through the recovery disk, it opens CMD but also shows a pop-up on top of it giving two options. One option is to recover the system which will reformat the disk and thus lose all data. And the other option is to restart the system. Once you close the pop-up without selecting any option, the CMD shows the prompt  where you can copy the files from RegBack.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-11-08T15:27:22+00:00

    Hi Prateek,

    Does your solution also work in the case of Windows 7?

    Many thanks in advance!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-11-15T09:58:53+00:00

    Thank you so much. I love you.

    Your solution work great!!!

    It helped me to save 8 hours of working!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more