Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing or corrupt. Status:Oxc000014C

Anonymous
2009-01-07T21:35:27+00:00

Hello - can anyone help me find a solution to my problem?

My problem:Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing or corrupt. Status:Oxc000014C

I tried everything the sytem advised from going through safe mode etc.. I also attempted to reload my OS - which was last updated via windows update site. However, it did not work - probably because of all the updates from MS which meant that it would not load from the DVD.

It was a completely new custom system with MS Vista Untimate 64 bit, Office 2007, Asus MB, 250 GB HD ATI video card. I was using Vista for almost a year and had no probelm prior to today. All original software.

I have my thesis and several files I was working on for someone -  I was doing some consulting work for to supplement my income as a student.. Unfortunately, when I last used my system last night it was ok. Now I canot get my system to work.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-01-08T21:00:37+00:00

Thanks Mark for your comments.

I ended up contacting Microsoft directly and they were able to get my system up and running without me losing any of the data. Hooray for Microsoft!

My system is back to normal and I am making sure all my files are backed up on DVD's.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-01-31T03:52:44+00:00

    I

    Thanks!am having the same problems and my system will not allow a command to be entered at all at any point during start up. I have gone the method of F8 after intial start up and was directed to the BiOS menu, but from there it was like my system was not reading my keyboard. Please any other suggestions as all of the service packs have rendered my installation disk obsolete.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-01-22T20:57:22+00:00

    Hi Prateek Arora,

    Your suggestion worked fine to me. Thank You very much.

    Alessandro Claudio, Sao Paulo/Recife - Brazil

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-01-22T09:13:45+00:00

    Hi Mark-i have seen most pc's from suppliers not correctly 'tuned' for performance -having only the most basic drivers installed to get it up and running,they always need motherboard disc with special bridging drivers to get the best out of 'em,the graphics drivers are usually marginal as well and need the most up to-date,also SATA2 rather than basic hd-drive,if you were given the disc with a new machine (rare),these have drivers specific to even the type of CPU-although all may need newer versions-you can bet that they'll still make ur pc fly compared to an out of the shop model;i've seen this develop as the need for personnel was absent;the peole that got into it had little idea of what to do.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-01-22T08:58:02+00:00

    To CLARIFY ABOVE POST AT END RE USB.....The USB stick is formatted as bootable -(this is an emergency recovery plan for ; i think it was Teri -put some tools on there ,anti-virus ,data -recovery, registery cleaner and Windows have a suite of tools available from Windows Live ,a free scanner each month for the newest threats as well and-depending on your needs -you may want network diagnosis tools , a simple GNU word processor,-(free public licenced)-an unzip program such as winrar----[data -recovery program ,in case hdd dies-usually still able to retrieve data]....a TYPOin above post said 'SHOULD LOOK LIKE THIS-- d:>. and good luck to all,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments