Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing or corrupt. Status:Oxc000014C

Anonymous
2009-01-07T21:35:27+00:00

Hello - can anyone help me find a solution to my problem?

My problem:Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing or corrupt. Status:Oxc000014C

I tried everything the sytem advised from going through safe mode etc.. I also attempted to reload my OS - which was last updated via windows update site. However, it did not work - probably because of all the updates from MS which meant that it would not load from the DVD.

It was a completely new custom system with MS Vista Untimate 64 bit, Office 2007, Asus MB, 250 GB HD ATI video card. I was using Vista for almost a year and had no probelm prior to today. All original software.

I have my thesis and several files I was working on for someone -  I was doing some consulting work for to supplement my income as a student.. Unfortunately, when I last used my system last night it was ok. Now I canot get my system to work.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-01-08T21:00:37+00:00

Thanks Mark for your comments.

I ended up contacting Microsoft directly and they were able to get my system up and running without me losing any of the data. Hooray for Microsoft!

My system is back to normal and I am making sure all my files are backed up on DVD's.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2009-01-09T00:12:06+00:00

    How? I'm having the same problem!

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2009-01-07T22:03:34+00:00

    This is so critical, you are going to need a hacking solution.

    How to edit the registry offline using BartPE boot CD: 


    Rating posts helps other usersMark L. Ferguson MS-MVP

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-01-07T21:59:13+00:00

    Thanks Mark - I tried using my backup DVDs. Unfortunatley it did not work. I am going to try it again and see if it works.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2009-01-07T21:54:56+00:00

    A complete system backup restoration is about the only solution for you. You are going to want to boot to your system disk and use the recovery options. Startup repair may do it.

    Startup Repair frequently asked questions - Windows Vista Help: 


    Rating posts helps other usersMark L. Ferguson MS-MVP

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments