I have just experienced this same problem.
My Toshiba Satellite Pro A200 (I think) had Windows Vista Business pre-installed on it because I got it on a school scheme and had to pay £5 a month for 3 years.
After 2 years, it had a virus so I wiped everything and installed a brand new Windows Vista Ultimate onto it. It was working fine. Until last week. So now, when I turn my laptop on, it says 'windows did not shut down properly'.
So then I click 'Start Windows Normally' and then this message appears:
"Windows Boot Manager
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
- Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
- Choose your language settings, and then click"Next."
- Click "Repair your computer."
If you do not have this dics, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.
File: \Windows\system32\config\system
Status: 0xc00000e9
Info: Windows dailed to load because the system registry file is missing, or corrupt.
ENTER=Continue ESC=Cancel"
I have very important work for my A-Levels and I need to ask if there is any chance of recovering that work.
If anyone has any solutions to my problem, please respond to this question.
Thank you in advance.
EDIT: I forgot to mention, my laptop can't play any cds for some reason. So when I tried to restart the laptop with the Windows Ultimate disc in it, it just gave the same message. Plus, it won't start in any safe mode or the last successful boot attempt.