Disable all font smoothing in Windows 7 (ie: including taskbar, menus, control panel, etc...)

Anonymous
2009-07-14T21:44:09+00:00

I would like to completely disable all font smoothing, anti-aliasing, etc... on Windows 7. I find it difficult to read and it gives me a headache.

Here's what I've tried so far:

  1. Switched to Windows 7 Basic theme. (No Aero.)
  2. Run the ClearType tuner. (It didn't help. I want to remove font smoothing, not tweak it.)
  3. Disabled ClearType altogether. (Taskbar, menus, etc... remain smoothed/anti-aliased).
  4. Unchecked "Smooth edges of screens fonts" from Performance -> Visual Effects. (Taskbar fonts, help, control panel, etc... remain smoothed).
  5. Changed all my fonts to Tahoma under Personalize -> Windows Color
  6. Using regedit, added "Tahoma" as the first option under HKLM->Software->Microsoft->Windows NT->Current Version->FontSubstitutes
  7. Deleted all Segoe fonts from /Windows/Fonts (Had to take ownership to do so)
  8. Deleted nearly all extraneous fonts from /Windows/Fonts (I was getting frustrated...)
  9. Tried playing with HKCU->Control Panel->Desktop->   FontSmoothingType (both 1 and 0) and FontSmoothing (both 1 and 0).
  10. Tried running my laptop at a non-native resolution (Makes it even worse)

The above steps removed most font smoothing, though the taskbar, dialogue boxes, control panel, etc... remain smoothed/anti-aliased. So far, the only way I've found to completely disable any smoothing is to switch to Classic mode, which has the unfortunate effect of removing any visual styles whatsoever. In short, I want Win7 fonts to render in a binary/completely pixelated fashion, with no gray fuzziness or subpixel rendering.

Please help!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-08-02T09:31:33+00:00

Hi Ken,

Hopefully the Win 7 typography team will make this "feature" optional by SP1. I'm holding out until then. But if you insist on using 7 before the font smoothing is fixed, here's how to deal with registry font substitutes and UAC/system protection.

Edit the registry settings under FontSubstitutes so that "Tahoma" appears before Segoe in any FontSubstitute settings. Then, take ownership of the Windows directory (I took ownership of all subdirectories and files, which might be excessive, but made other tweaking easier to deal with) to delete Segoe. To take ownership, right click on the Windows system folder, select "Properties", click on Security, Advanced, then clik on Owner in Advanced security settings... Click on the edit button and change owner to your own account . Make certain "Replace owner on subcontainer..." is checked.

It's overkill, but will get it done.

R5N

P.S. If anyone does figure out how to remove font smoothing from the Win 7 taskbar, I will praise you for all of time.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2009-11-14T22:09:41+00:00

    Try MS Sans Serif. Solved problem for me. If you are not satisfied with result you can set Tahoma back again. Tahoma was blurry in many dialog boxes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2009-11-14T20:14:56+00:00

    Cancucker1980,

    I have a couple of questions about your procedure because I didn't fully succeeded in removing aliased fonts - The task bar, the expanded control panel (from the start menu) and many dialogs ... for example - MyComputer->Properties are still using aliased font ... which I'm not sure.

    So here are the questions:

    1. in the forth step you say "C-Falily" fonts. What do you mean exactly? Which fonts are these?
    2. in the sixth step you say "deleted the offending files". Can you elaborate on this? I deleted (moved to another folder) seg*.ttf. Is this enough?

    I opted not to use MS Sans Serif but Tahoma but I doubt this was the problem, right?

    Can anyone else help me make Windows 7 even less strain on the eyes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-11-02T11:38:38+00:00

    I recommend:

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes]

    "Segoe UI"="MS Sans Serif"

    MS Sans Serif 9 looks almost like Tahoma 8 and bigger text looks also acceptable. So the system font size may remain as it is.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2009-10-30T15:02:44+00:00

    Bellow is the summer of how to completely disable ClearType and font smoothing in Windows 7.

    1. Disable ClearType by opening “Control Panel->Fonts->Adjust ClearType text” and unchecking “Turn on ClearType”.

    Alternatively you can change the value of the following registry key from 2 to 1:

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]

    "FontSmoothingType"=dword:00000001

    1. Disable font smoothing by unchecking "Smooth edges of screen fonts" in “Control Panel->System->Advanced system settings -> Performance Settings->Visual Effects.

    Alternatively you can change the value of the following registry key from 2 to 1:

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]

    "FontSmoothing"="1"

    1. Change window elements fonts. To do this, open “Control Panel->Personalize->Window Color->Advanced appearance settings” and change all fonts from Segoe UI 9 to any other font (Windows XP uses Tahoma 8 for all elements by default).

    These settings are stored in the following registry path:

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics]

    1. Now you need to make the system believe that it has no Segoe UI fonts and that it must replace it with for example Таhoma. Please note that there is no need to delete any fonts!!!

    Run regedit.exe and make the following changes in the registry:

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts]

    "Segoe UI (TrueType)"=""

    "Segoe UI Bold (TrueType)"=""

    "Segoe UI Italic (TrueType)"=""

    "Segoe UI Bold Italic (TrueType)"=""

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes]

    "Segoe UI"="Tahoma"

    If you would like to revert it back here are the defaults:

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts]

    "Segoe UI (TrueType)"="segoeui.ttf"

    "Segoe UI Bold (TrueType)"="segoeuib.ttf"

    "Segoe UI Italic (TrueType)"="segoeuii.ttf"

    "Segoe UI Bold Italic (TrueType)"="segoeuiz.ttf"

    "Segoe UI Semibold (TrueType)"="seguisb.ttf"

    "Segoe UI Light (TrueType)"="segoeuil.ttf"

    "Segoe UI Symbol (TrueType)"="seguisym.ttf"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes]

    "Segoe UI"=-

    1. Restart the computer.

    Congrats! We are done! Now absolutely in the whole system the user defined fonts are used without any ClearType or smoothing.

    In case somebody would like to disable ClearType in the whole system, but enable it in Office 2007 (Office 2007 in Windows XP uses ClearType always, regardless of system settings), then you need to complete all the above steps, except the first one.

    It seems to be OK now, we disabled ClearType and font smoothing, changed system fonts, but there is one imperfection.

    By default the system users Segoe UI 9. We changed the font to Tahoma, but the system font size remained the same.

    Question remains: How to change the system font size to 8?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments