See all 3 power plans on system tray

Anonymous
2009-10-01T03:29:27+00:00

Windows 7 is better than Vista in so many ways, but it's actually a lot worse in some others. Take, for example, choosing power plans from the system tray.

In Windows Vista, you could click on the battery meter and choose between the 3 plans: High Performance, Balanced, and Power Saver.

Now, for some idiotic reason, Microsft decided to limit our choices to only TWO plans from the system tray: your current plan + Balanced (if balanced is selected I believe it defaults to Power Saver for the 2nd one). To change it to the 3rd one I have to actually click on "More Power Options" and then select the plan.

Microsoft is requiring you to take extra steps for doing something that was easier before. I thought Windows 7's mantra was "do things faster" (i.e. Jumplists, Aero Peek, Accelerators, etc.) Who was the moron who made this decision, and how can I get my Vista-style Power tray back?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-10-03T17:27:31+00:00

Um maybe if you read my original post (or if use Windows 7 itself), Balanced is ALWAYS shown, even if it wasn't your 'old' plan. So you can't flip-flop between Power Saver and High Performance, which is what I want.

What if I deleted the Balanced power plan? Is there a way to delete the default plans?

Yes, there is a way.

FlyoutAutoPowerScheme: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749282(WS.10).aspx


Rating posts helps other usersMark L. Ferguson MS-MVP

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2009-11-30T22:41:18+00:00

    Please include a fix for this in a future hotfix or service pack. And please keep me updated if there's a solution.

    info: > "No new features in Service Packs"

    solution: > You will have to accept one of the three or four workarounds, the power feature is by design, and expected behavior for Win 7.


    Rating posts helps other usersMark L. Ferguson MS-MVP

    !\[\](http://i3.social.microsoft.com/Image.avatr?size=Large&user=Mark L. Ferguson&id=fb4a4625-6789-43eb-aa48-4a1fbf2df947)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2009-11-30T22:31:19+00:00

    Dear moron helping to design Windows 7,

    Like the other users posted, it is indeed very frustrating when wanting to switch between Power Saver and High Performance. I did a little survey, and many users don't even use power plans, and the ones that do will not even use "Balanced".

    I am a gamer with a high performance laptop that occasionally has the need to save battery power. I've tweaked the settings of high performance and power saver to my needs. Back in Vista, the list showed recently used power plans, which was ideal for most users.

    This is not an issue over which most end users will re-format their computers and re-install with an answer file. And no one wants to install a 3rd party app that does this.

    Please include a fix for this in a future hotfix or service pack. And please keep me updated if there's a solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-11-21T12:55:26+00:00

    Such idiotic changes should be FIXED RIGHT AWAY IMMEDIATELY AT ONCE THRU A HOTFIX. ARE YOU LISTENING MICROSOFT?


    Anonymuos

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2009-10-10T02:31:20+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments