See all 3 power plans on system tray

Anonymous
2009-10-01T03:29:27+00:00

Windows 7 is better than Vista in so many ways, but it's actually a lot worse in some others. Take, for example, choosing power plans from the system tray.

In Windows Vista, you could click on the battery meter and choose between the 3 plans: High Performance, Balanced, and Power Saver.

Now, for some idiotic reason, Microsft decided to limit our choices to only TWO plans from the system tray: your current plan + Balanced (if balanced is selected I believe it defaults to Power Saver for the 2nd one). To change it to the 3rd one I have to actually click on "More Power Options" and then select the plan.

Microsoft is requiring you to take extra steps for doing something that was easier before. I thought Windows 7's mantra was "do things faster" (i.e. Jumplists, Aero Peek, Accelerators, etc.) Who was the moron who made this decision, and how can I get my Vista-style Power tray back?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-10-03T17:27:31+00:00

Um maybe if you read my original post (or if use Windows 7 itself), Balanced is ALWAYS shown, even if it wasn't your 'old' plan. So you can't flip-flop between Power Saver and High Performance, which is what I want.

What if I deleted the Balanced power plan? Is there a way to delete the default plans?

Yes, there is a way.

FlyoutAutoPowerScheme: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749282(WS.10).aspx


Rating posts helps other usersMark L. Ferguson MS-MVP

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-06-29T16:07:59+00:00

    I want to see whether this has been fixed in SP1. Anybody got the beta wanna confirm? If not, I'll try to dual-boot install it to test it out.

    UPDATE: I just installed SP1 build 7601.16562.100603-1800 and it's still showing two power plans.

    Looks like we'll have to wait till the next version of Windows for Microsoft to fix this idiotic mistake.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-06-27T19:36:01+00:00

    So, is this getting fixed?

    A one-of-many regressions of Windows 7...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-04-05T22:15:20+00:00

    I found a way. I created a new toolbar out of a folder. This folder contains powercfg.exe scripts as told by Mark L. Ferguson. If you shrink the toolbar and lock the taskbar it would look as in the image. I also choose to change the icons to make it look good. Clicking the >> pops up more power options.

    If you want to automate stuff, you could write a C programme that parses the output of powercfg /l and creates .cmd files for each power option. and does the powercfg.exe /s {GUID} Place this C programme in the startup folder and or the Run key of the registry to have your new power options updated on every run.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-02-13T01:28:39+00:00

    Please include a fix for this in a future hotfix or service pack. And please keep me updated if there's a solution.

    info: > "No new features in Service Packs"

    solution: > You will have to accept one of the three or four workarounds, the power feature is by design, and expected behavior for Win 7.


    Rating posts helps other usersMark L. Ferguson MS-MVP

    !\[\](http://i3.social.microsoft.com/Image.avatr?size=Large&user=Mark L. Ferguson&id=fb4a4625-6789-43eb-aa48-4a1fbf2df947)

    You're wrong:

    • XP Service Pack 2: major security overhaul, pop-up blocker, wifi overhaul, etc.
    • Vista Service Pack 1: modified search behavior, exFAT, EFI, etc.
    • Vista Service Pack 2: Windows Search 4.0, Bluetooth tweaks, FEATURE PACK for Wireless and Storage (need I say more?)

    I'm pretty sure they could fix this miniscule annoyance in a service pack when they have clearly done much bigger overhauls in supposedly "feature-less" service pack upgrades in the past.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments