See all 3 power plans on system tray

Anonymous
2009-10-01T03:29:27+00:00

Windows 7 is better than Vista in so many ways, but it's actually a lot worse in some others. Take, for example, choosing power plans from the system tray.

In Windows Vista, you could click on the battery meter and choose between the 3 plans: High Performance, Balanced, and Power Saver.

Now, for some idiotic reason, Microsft decided to limit our choices to only TWO plans from the system tray: your current plan + Balanced (if balanced is selected I believe it defaults to Power Saver for the 2nd one). To change it to the 3rd one I have to actually click on "More Power Options" and then select the plan.

Microsoft is requiring you to take extra steps for doing something that was easier before. I thought Windows 7's mantra was "do things faster" (i.e. Jumplists, Aero Peek, Accelerators, etc.) Who was the moron who made this decision, and how can I get my Vista-style Power tray back?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-10-03T17:27:31+00:00

Um maybe if you read my original post (or if use Windows 7 itself), Balanced is ALWAYS shown, even if it wasn't your 'old' plan. So you can't flip-flop between Power Saver and High Performance, which is what I want.

What if I deleted the Balanced power plan? Is there a way to delete the default plans?

Yes, there is a way.

FlyoutAutoPowerScheme: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749282(WS.10).aspx


Rating posts helps other usersMark L. Ferguson MS-MVP

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-11-27T16:33:33+00:00

    Firstly, I'd like to add an emphatic bump. Seriously--this is a dumb, tiny issue that shouldn't be a problem to fix.

     

    As a workaround: use the windows+x shortcut to bring up the mobility center, then choose your power plan from the dropdown menu. It's not a perfect solution (or even that great as a solution) but it seems to work faster than using the taskbar clicking ____.

     

    Anyway, this needs fixing. This shouldn't be something we have to go to 3rd party apps for. I'd take a registry tweak, but I haven't found one yet...

     

    Oi.

    ooh, didnt know about the windows-x key combo - nice :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2010-11-24T21:57:36+00:00

    Actually there is another workarround that consist on configure the Balance power plan behavior to work like High Performance power plan; so you can switch betwen both High Performance and Save Power.

    That's made by enter Power Options from Control Panel, select "Change plan settings" on the Balance power plan an then select "Change advanced power settings". Here you can change options to make Balanced work like High Perfomance.

    What I do is configure Balanced power plan to work as High Performance when my laptop is plugged in and as Power Saver when is unplugged, so I don't need to change my power plan anymore.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-10-27T15:59:52+00:00

    As Yoltihson stated changing the registry does work a bit of clarification you will have to swap the 11 and 15entries. I tested on a couple machines and this seems to work. M$ should just give us the option to select which power plans we want listed in the power icon popup. Since outside Redmon they think we use Balanced, most users use Power Save when unplugged and High Performance when plugged in. I personally use Balanced only when I am trying to recharge the battery between Power Save and Performance. Most of my clients also use Power Save<>High Performance without ever using Balanced and are also annoyed by having to go into the power panel to make the switch. This registry tweak has allowed my clients to have the two needed plans available on the tray. I have not had any success getting this to script out for my domain laptop clients as of yet. though i think it may need an extra middle rename step. I just havent had the time to play around with this more. A slider bar for number of power options shown on icon should be 2-show all or a check box style put an check in the box to have this plan shown on the menu. so many simple solutions that would let M$ clients have so much more control. Just my 2 cents.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments