See all 3 power plans on system tray

Anonymous
2009-10-01T03:29:27+00:00

Windows 7 is better than Vista in so many ways, but it's actually a lot worse in some others. Take, for example, choosing power plans from the system tray.

In Windows Vista, you could click on the battery meter and choose between the 3 plans: High Performance, Balanced, and Power Saver.

Now, for some idiotic reason, Microsft decided to limit our choices to only TWO plans from the system tray: your current plan + Balanced (if balanced is selected I believe it defaults to Power Saver for the 2nd one). To change it to the 3rd one I have to actually click on "More Power Options" and then select the plan.

Microsoft is requiring you to take extra steps for doing something that was easier before. I thought Windows 7's mantra was "do things faster" (i.e. Jumplists, Aero Peek, Accelerators, etc.) Who was the moron who made this decision, and how can I get my Vista-style Power tray back?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-10-03T17:27:31+00:00

Um maybe if you read my original post (or if use Windows 7 itself), Balanced is ALWAYS shown, even if it wasn't your 'old' plan. So you can't flip-flop between Power Saver and High Performance, which is what I want.

What if I deleted the Balanced power plan? Is there a way to delete the default plans?

Yes, there is a way.

FlyoutAutoPowerScheme: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749282(WS.10).aspx


Rating posts helps other usersMark L. Ferguson MS-MVP

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-11-13T17:03:09+00:00

    You will have to configure that feature for yourself. Create a new shortcut you can pin on the taskbar (or a toolbar folder with several shortcuts.) Put the command to set the active power scheme you prefer. To see the syntax of the powercfg utility, open a command prompt and run the command: powercfg /?

      -SETACTIVE, -S

                  Makes the specified power scheme active on the system.

                  Usage: POWERCFG -SETACTIVE <SCHEME_GUID>

                  <SCHEME_GUID>  Specifies the scheme guid.

      -GETACTIVESCHEME

                  Retrieve the currently active power scheme.

                  Usage: POWERCFG -GETACTIVESCHEME


    Rating posts helps other usersMark L. Ferguson MS-MVP

    ![](http://i3.social.microsoft.com/Image.avatr?size=Large&amp;user=Mark L. Ferguson&amp;id=fb4a4625-6789-43eb-aa48-4a1fbf2df947)<moron helping to design Windows 7

    Brillian solution - I had used an app to do this, but was concerned when I saw the executable do something...curious, let's say. But your way is dead simple - create a new toolbar to a Desktop folder called Power - create three shortcuts in that folder (High, Balanced, Power Saver) to powercfg /s <GUID> using the appropriate guids from your system. Quick, no UAC prompts, and nothing extra installed. Kudos, sir.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-02T11:51:49+00:00

    I recently made this simple app to get around this.

    https://powerbuddy.codeplex.com/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-02-19T22:45:47+00:00

    I totally agree.  I rarely, if ever, use balanced.  Go into a meeting, work remote, Power Saver.  Back at my desk and plugged in, don't care about the little extra energy use, give me high performance.  Microsoft should use a few extra pixels to show all three plan.  Where are the user experience testers on this one?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-05-13T16:59:58+00:00

    I had the same problem, and I didn't want to install 3rd party programs, so I did the following:

    1. I wrote a batch file to switch to power saver mode if high performance mode is active, and to switch to high performance if not.
    2. I made a folder in a location where it wouldn't bother me and put the batch file there.
    3. Since the default batch file icon is ugly, I made a shortcut to the batch file and put it in a folder that I made inside the one created in step 2 (for step 4 the folder should only contain the shortcut to work as intended), and changed the icon of the shortcut.
    4. Then I made a custom toolbar that linked to the folder that only contained the link to the batch file, and disabled text and title on it (you can do it when the taskbar is unlocked, r-click, uncheck options, and lock it again after you disable the text and title).

    That way there was just a clickable icon next to the tray that tells me which mode is active when I click it, hence going from 4 clicks in standard approach beyond 2 clicks with the desired approach for most users to 1 click in this solution. :P

    Here is the code of the batch file.

    @echo off

    FOR /F "tokens=*" %%A IN ('powercfg -getactivescheme') DO SET SCHEME=%%A

    set NSCHEME=Power Scheme GUID: 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c (High performance)

    if "%SCHEME%"=="%NSCHEME%" powercfg -setactive a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a & echo Power saver activated. & ping -n 3 127.0.0.1 > nul

    if not "%SCHEME%"=="%NSCHEME%" powercfg -setactive 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c & echo High performance activated. & ping -n 3 127.0.0.1 > nul

    The ping command is only there to force the window to stay open for a few seconds before disappearing, so that you can actually read, what mode was activated. You can remove it if you don't want the ugly console window to stay open for so long. Also you could surely make those variables shorter, but all the additional options were too incomprehensive for me, so I just left it like that.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments