Registry Cleaner that works well with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit OS

Anonymous
2009-12-23T16:17:49+00:00

Do you or can you recommend a Registry Cleaner that works well with Windows 7?  In my searches I found RegAce to be the best recommend but on commencing to run the application Windows 7 gave a warning that it had not been tested on this OS.

What solution should I follow?

Thanks, DAVID.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-27T18:09:11+00:00

Hello DaveJB,

Thank you for posting on the Microsoft Answers Forum.

Have you tried to use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. Click here to download the tool.

You can use the utility to remove installation information for programs that were installed by using Windows Installer. Be aware that Windows Installer CleanUp Utility will not remove the actual program from your computer. However, it will remove the installation files so that you can start the installation, upgrade, or uninstall over.

Please reply back and let us know if this utlitiy helped to resolve your issue.

Sincerely,


Marilyn

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-05-01T06:29:43+00:00

David, I recently ran across a similar problem on a friend's computer.  I even tried logging in as administrator in safe mode... nada.  Then someone suggested this

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

The free version worked awesome.  I used it and then uninstalled it.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

53 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2009-12-23T18:47:47+00:00

    "DaveJB" wrote in message news:3cc582fe-e4e1-4896-a427-bd245c9b5786...

    > Do you or can you recommend a Registry Cleaner that works well with

    > Windows 7? In my searches I found RegAce to be the best recommend but on

    > commencing to run the application Windows 7 gave a warning that it had not

    > been tested on this OS.

    I strongly recommend against *all* registry cleaners, with Windows 7 or any

    other version of Windows.

    Registry cleaning programs are *all* snake oil. Cleaning of the registry

    isn't needed and is dangerous. Leave the registry alone and don't use any

    registry cleaner. Despite what many people think, and what vendors of

    registry cleaning software try to convince you of, having unused registry

    entries doesn't really hurt you.

    The risk of a serious problem caused by a registry cleaner erroneously

    removing an entry you need is far greater than any potential benefit it may

    have.

    Read http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000643.html

    --

    Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003


    Ken Blake

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2009-12-30T21:55:33+00:00

    Hello Marilyn

    Thank you for your suggestion.  However, on starting to run the Cleanup Utility the tool displayed a list of programmes to be selected and the programmes at issue did not appear in this list.  I therefore exited, deciding to reply to you for a further opinion.  The programme I am having problems removing from Add Remove programmes is "Magix Audio Cleaning Lab" version 11.  This programme is installed directly to a folder on the C:\ drive, rather than to the Programs or Programs (x86) folders.  Will this make a definite difference to how the Cleanup Utility handles this programme?  I look forward to your reply.

    My grateful thanks and a Happy New Year to you and your family, David.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-01-01T04:51:35+00:00

    Mr. Blake,

    My experience differs with your recommendation. Vista was a total registry mess and a defrag. mess. If I did not use reg cure and dis-keeper, Vista would clog up immediately.  Reg-cure is a very safe conservative registry cleaner that is needed because of the complexity of windows. I have much luck with reg-cure and the speed with which it functions. There are now other fine registry cleaners that can all be reversed if a problem occurs.

    Even though Windows 7 is fantastic compared to Vista, it is now starting to show some clogging problems mostly after a windows update to keep up with the bad guys who have nothing better to do than try to break into computers and find weaknesses with windows.

    A quick example of the need of a registry cleaner is after installing windows office 2007 or windows live anything. The computer is seriously fragmented after  any program installations or driver installations and the registry has so many dead keys or other problems the computer is no longer efficient.

    This is only my experience on every machine I and my family have. I am not saying I will need to renew reg-cure with windows 7 but the diskkeeper is amazing and will stay. I obviously respect your professional opinion compared to my opinion and experience but I am just giving you another side of this.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments