Windows 7: Preparing your desktop....C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop refers to a location that is unavailable.

Anonymous
2009-11-28T22:05:06+00:00

C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop refers to a location that is unavailable.

This problem occours after a reboot but does not happen with any rhym or rhythm (seems random). Login screen appears, im the only user, my pic and user name appear correctly, i type my password and hit enter, then it gets wierd, it says that it is preparing my desktop; But this is not the first time for logging in. then when i do log in its a new desktop everyting default plus the windows aero is shut off and replaced with the Windows classic theme. then i get the message in the taskbar..... Your user profile was not loaded correctly! You have been logged on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off. Please see the event log for details or contact your system administrator. Event viewer revals nothing related to this issue that i could find. Only 3 occourances of this so far. I am operaing Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. I have only seen one other mention of this elseware after a google search but was during RC version I have version 6.1.7600 build 7600 and am having this problem rumors are that it happens with Symantec Endpoint Protection installed which i do I have, Version 11.0.5002.333 which is the latest build update and was created for windows 7 compatibility. SEP Logs reveal nothing abnormal besides files that could not be scanned once but did not mention the above file location. Just wanting to see if anyone else has been having this problem.

Also I believe this to happen after a remote desktop connection either to or from the client pc then a reboot or a shut down.

Mentioned here in brief http://www.xiirus.net/articles/article-windows-7-preparing-your-desktop-woe-mbp3t.aspx

and here in vista http://www.xiirus.net/articles/article-vista-your-user-profile-was-not-loaded-correctly-cuu82.aspx < i do notice in the screenshot here that SEP is installed on that computer

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-28T13:07:16+00:00

I don't know if this is going to be of any help, but here's a situation I ran into recently that I hope gets you closer to the solution.

Brief History

While testing out a new Win 7 image build, I had to make numerous changes to default user profile and default user hive to make the necessary adjustments that should only happen once per user.  However, once I logged on, tested and made any additional adjustment(s), I couldn't just log out and back on because the profile was already created.  I would need to start from scratch.

Like we currently do in Win XP, I deleted my existing profile and left it at that.  On subsequent logons however I noticed that my changes weren't 'coming down' and adjustments I made to the profile weren't sticking.  It was at that point I realized I was logging on with a temporary profile.

SolutionIn my case I not only had to delete (or rename) my user profile, but I also had to go into the registry and remove/rename the profile SID (well I think its the SID, or user GUID of some sort) for the profile I deleted.

  • HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
  • Look at each SID/GUID
  • Check the ProfileImagePath to confirm you've selected the proper SID/GUID
  • Once you have the right one, delete the key or rename it (like append .BAK to the name)

Once I deleted the profile, all worked well again.

Now for you, I know that removing or renaming your profile may not be the most desirable solution, but if you try the suggestion above, or simply create a new account, it should help isolate where the problem lies.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-05-05T11:11:51+00:00

    Hi, everyone.

    Just to say the symptoms decribed by kurama101 also affect my system from time to time:

    "C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop refers to a location that is unavailable." error, I can log in fine, but I do not get the user profile was not loaded correctly message, and I get a black screen with just recycle bin on the desktop"

    I would also think this has to do with antivirus and perhaps also with some services' dependency...

    Also running SEP.

    Searched Symantec's site for the error, but found nothing.

    Regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-05-05T12:11:40+00:00

    This problem doesn't have anything to do with an anti-virus because I'm having the problem but I do not have any of the programs that have been mentioned.  It happens to me after a I join our Domain here at work.  Everything runs great until that happens.  I too think it is some kinda service dependency...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-06-28T07:15:43+00:00

    yap! I don't think it has anything to do with networking or antivirus. I think it's Windows' fault that they did not develop a stable and trust-able program before they market it. I've got this from other forum. Hope it helps! Mine got problem right now, that's why I'm still searching also. I got really fed up to hear that it will occur now and then. means it's going to haunt me forever and ever...... My vaio still a new one!!! :( 

    From the forum below, I can see vista also got problem. :( 

    Reboot repeatedly tapping F8 - select last known good configuration.

    If no help try System Restore back to a point before this happened. You can do this from Safe Mode

    repeatedly tap F8 as you boot - select Safe Mode.

    How to Do a System Restore in Vista

    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76905-system-restore-how.html


    If still no help do a Startup Repair - if no Recovery Options or Vista disks then you can borrow one as they are

    not copy protected.

    This tells you how to access the System Recovery Options and/or with a Vista Disk

    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/326b756b-1601-435e-99d0-1585439470351033.mspx

    How to do a Startup Repair

    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/91467-startup-repair.html

    Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-07-10T15:34:39+00:00

    Has anyone found a solution to this?

    I am seeing something similar, but not exactly the same.  I have a brand new Dell netbook (Mini 1012) which I upgraded from Windows 7 Starter to Windows 7 Home Premium.  A couple of times now (but not every time - seems random) when I have booted up, I get the "preparing desktop" message.  Then, as my desktop appears, I get the following error message in a pop-up:

    C:Windows\system32\Config\systemprofile\Desktop is not accessible.  Access is Denied. 

    Although the error message I'm getting is different, I also see what the original poster described - I have a desktop (not all black), but it appears to have reverted back to Windows Classic.  So far, rebooting the computer fixes the problem.

    Anyone?

    FYI, my anti-virus is the pre-installed McAfee security center.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments