Windows 7: Preparing your desktop....C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop refers to a location that is unavailable.

Anonymous
2009-11-28T22:05:06+00:00

C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop refers to a location that is unavailable.

This problem occours after a reboot but does not happen with any rhym or rhythm (seems random). Login screen appears, im the only user, my pic and user name appear correctly, i type my password and hit enter, then it gets wierd, it says that it is preparing my desktop; But this is not the first time for logging in. then when i do log in its a new desktop everyting default plus the windows aero is shut off and replaced with the Windows classic theme. then i get the message in the taskbar..... Your user profile was not loaded correctly! You have been logged on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off. Please see the event log for details or contact your system administrator. Event viewer revals nothing related to this issue that i could find. Only 3 occourances of this so far. I am operaing Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. I have only seen one other mention of this elseware after a google search but was during RC version I have version 6.1.7600 build 7600 and am having this problem rumors are that it happens with Symantec Endpoint Protection installed which i do I have, Version 11.0.5002.333 which is the latest build update and was created for windows 7 compatibility. SEP Logs reveal nothing abnormal besides files that could not be scanned once but did not mention the above file location. Just wanting to see if anyone else has been having this problem.

Also I believe this to happen after a remote desktop connection either to or from the client pc then a reboot or a shut down.

Mentioned here in brief http://www.xiirus.net/articles/article-windows-7-preparing-your-desktop-woe-mbp3t.aspx

and here in vista http://www.xiirus.net/articles/article-vista-your-user-profile-was-not-loaded-correctly-cuu82.aspx < i do notice in the screenshot here that SEP is installed on that computer

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-28T13:07:16+00:00

I don't know if this is going to be of any help, but here's a situation I ran into recently that I hope gets you closer to the solution.

Brief History

While testing out a new Win 7 image build, I had to make numerous changes to default user profile and default user hive to make the necessary adjustments that should only happen once per user.  However, once I logged on, tested and made any additional adjustment(s), I couldn't just log out and back on because the profile was already created.  I would need to start from scratch.

Like we currently do in Win XP, I deleted my existing profile and left it at that.  On subsequent logons however I noticed that my changes weren't 'coming down' and adjustments I made to the profile weren't sticking.  It was at that point I realized I was logging on with a temporary profile.

SolutionIn my case I not only had to delete (or rename) my user profile, but I also had to go into the registry and remove/rename the profile SID (well I think its the SID, or user GUID of some sort) for the profile I deleted.

  • HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
  • Look at each SID/GUID
  • Check the ProfileImagePath to confirm you've selected the proper SID/GUID
  • Once you have the right one, delete the key or rename it (like append .BAK to the name)

Once I deleted the profile, all worked well again.

Now for you, I know that removing or renaming your profile may not be the most desirable solution, but if you try the suggestion above, or simply create a new account, it should help isolate where the problem lies.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-10-10T17:42:13+00:00

    I agree 100% that Microsoft needs to resolve this issue. I am not a newbie by any means, supported Windows 3 and 95 years back, and now set up Windows 2008 servers. My wife is running into this on an occasional basis. I finally experienced it firsthand this morning. Running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on a fairly new system that came installed with it, with an Intel i7-860 CPU, 8GB RAM, a 1TB hard drive. It is NOT antivirus related, unless Microsoft's own Microsoft Surity Essentials is also causing it ... so don't point to specific antivirus programs, you are mis-directed if doing so. I get the black screen when it does come up, no icons on it, and just the Start button with the option at least to shut down or restart. A restart usually brings the desktop up OK, though once it hung through 3 restarts. I do have another profile and that one comes up just fine when I select to Change Users from that black screen. And beyond that I am lost and searching Google as everyone else is probably doing, and coming up just as empty as everyone else apparently is. This further leads me to believe it is a Microsoft issue as no one has yet found a solution over a year later.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-09-15T00:12:39+00:00

    just got the same issue i had a few months ago i think its some windows updates that do this kinda crazy stuff wow microsoft u should look into it and fix it cuz its really annoying and its not just a few ppl with the problem it looks like theres alot more ppl with this issue i mean how did this happen in the first place i think its time to put a stop to this .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-08-02T16:16:16+00:00

    I have a new Toshiba netbook and this problem just started after loading McAfee AntiVirus.  I tried out the HDD latency theory and it seems to have worked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-07-27T18:58:03+00:00

    Some update causes it. But you can do one solution for it. Goto c:\users&lt;your user name> and then right click on desktop and come to properties. On the location tab click move and set the location to c:\Windows\System32\config\Systemprofile\Desktop. Apply these settings and restart your computer. Your problem will be solved. Hope it helps!

    Good Luck!


    Vanshaj Daga

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments