Installing Age of Empires III on a Vista based Computer

Anonymous
2009-06-29T14:05:05+00:00

I am having trouble installing this game (AOE III) on my computer which is a Windows Vista 64-bit based computer.

I have previously used it with Windows XP. I dont know what version it is and if that would make a difference. I brought the game a few months after it initially came out.

When I inserted the cd into the drive, a window pops up indicated that there is a compatibility issue.  I tried using the compatibility wizard but it doesnt work. Please, Can anyone offer some help? Thank you.

Windows for home | Other | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-07-23T01:04:10+00:00

Hi Mohan:

I bought another game. This one says it works with XP or higher. I installed it with no error message and everything works fine.   Thank you and appreciate the help.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2009-07-10T23:20:51+00:00

    Hi jlluitj:

    I have uploaded the screenshots to Imageshack at http://profile.imageshack.us/user/summer\_xbreeze/

    Hope this helps. Also the version of the game is v.1.0.00.0000 dtd Sept 2005.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2009-07-10T23:23:57+00:00

    Thanks summerbreeze,

    Alright, let see if this exists..

    Right click on C:\ Go to Open > Is there an autorun.inf in that directory? If so delete it, tell me if you can install age 3 now.

    If this doesn't seem to work, right click on the CD drive of age of empires 3, open so it shows the dir, right click on setup.exe and run as administrator


    Josh Luitjens - Self-taught computer tech.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-07-11T12:16:14+00:00

    Hi jlluitj:

    When I go to the C:\ I didnt not see autorun.inf; so I did a search. There are autorun for other programs listed. So I continued to the next step. I open the cd, choose to "run as administrator" and I get the same compatibility window. Does the version of the game have anything to do with Vista?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2009-07-11T21:25:19+00:00

    Put in the CD, Compatibility prompt will appear, Hit Cancel, Open My Computer > Right click on the age3 cd1 drive, Go to OPEN > Now find setup.exe, right click on it, run as administrator Try and install, does this work?

    The reason being behind this is, I think, anyways is that the autorun.inf file inside of the age3 cd is this as stated

    [autorun]open=autorun.exeicon=autorun.exeName=AOE III Disk 1shell\setup=&Install Age of Empires IIIshell\setup\command=setup.exeshell\directx=Install &DirectX 9.0cshell\directx\command=DirectX9\dxsetup.exe

    Which shell\setup\command=setup.exe, after you run as administrator through compatibility prompt, the default path would be c:\windows\system32\ which attempts to run setup.exe from this directory , but of course its not there which prompts the error. If that makes any sense... :)

    If you run the setup.exe directly from the CD, it should run and work, just ignore and compatibility prompts.

    There maybe something wrong with the path variables of your system or the compatibility prompt, not sure though.

    I hope this works

     jlluitj


    Josh Luitjens - Self-taught computer tech.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments