Hi Mohan:
I bought another game. This one says it works with XP or higher. I installed it with no error message and everything works fine. Thank you and appreciate the help.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I am having trouble installing this game (AOE III) on my computer which is a Windows Vista 64-bit based computer.
I have previously used it with Windows XP. I dont know what version it is and if that would make a difference. I brought the game a few months after it initially came out.
When I inserted the cd into the drive, a window pops up indicated that there is a compatibility issue. I tried using the compatibility wizard but it doesnt work. Please, Can anyone offer some help? Thank you.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi Mohan:
I bought another game. This one says it works with XP or higher. I installed it with no error message and everything works fine. Thank you and appreciate the help.
Hello summerbreeze, Can I request a screenshot of the compatibility error please?
Prntscreen open paint paste > save as jpg, then upload it to your live account or an external image hosting website
jlluitj
Josh Luitjens - Self-taught computer tech.
Thank you Mohan for your deligent responses. I downloaded and installed the Windows Vista Service pack 2 (KB948465) and verified that it was installed by checking my computer's system. In step 3, I attempted to install AOE III and came up with the same compatibility issues as before. I also tried using the Compatibilitty Wizard again, but no luck. I restored my computer back to its normal startup routine.
Hi Summerbreeze,
Have you tried the steps to install the game in compatibility mode from the article KB927386?
If the above step is not tried, please try step 1 and follow the above step.
Try placing the computer in clean boot mode.
Step 1: Perform a clean boot
NoteIf the computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may prevent you from following these steps. We strongly recommend that you do not use the System Configuration utility to modify the advanced boot options on the computer unless a Microsoft support engineer directs you to do this. Doing this may make the computer unusable.
| a. | Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights. |
|---|---|
| b. | Click<br>Start , type<br>msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER to start the System Configuration Utility.<br> <br><br> <br><br>If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click<br>Continue . |
| c. | On the<br>General tab, click Selective Startup , and then click to clear the<br>Load startup items check box. (The Use Original Boot.inicheck box is unavailable.) |
| d. | On the<br>Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft servicescheck box, and then click Disable all . <br><br> <br><br>Note Following this step lets Microsoft services continue to run. These services include Networking, Plug and Play, Event Logging, Error Reporting, and other services. If you disable these services, you may permanently delete all restore points.<br> Do not do this if you want to use the System Restore utility together with existing restore points. |
| e. | Click<br>OK , and then click Restart . |
Install the latest updates available on the computer including Service pack 2.
Step 2: Install Updates
Start Windows Update, and then install all the updates. By doing this, you confirm that Windows Update is up-to-date. To start Windows Update and install all the updates, follow these steps:
| a. | Click<br>Start , point to<br>All Programs , and then click Windows Update . |
|---|---|
| b. | Click all the check boxes for all the updates to be selected. |
| c. | Click<br>Install Updates . |
| d. | When the<br>update is installed, restart the computer. |
Note: Ensure that Windows Vista Service Pack2(KB948465) is installed.
Step 3: Try installing AOE III
Step 4: Reset the computer to start as usual
After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual:
| a. | Click<br>Start , type<br>msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.<br> <br><br> <br><br>If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click<br>Continue . |
|---|---|
| b. | On the<br>General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click<br>OK . |
| c. | When you are prompted to restart the computer, click<br>Restart . |
Mohan
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Hi Mohan:
I have KB957388 "December Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 Application Compatibility update" installed already. Please advise what is the next step?