Hi Mohan:
I bought another game. This one says it works with XP or higher. I installed it with no error message and everything works fine. Thank you and appreciate the help.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I am having trouble installing this game (AOE III) on my computer which is a Windows Vista 64-bit based computer.
I have previously used it with Windows XP. I dont know what version it is and if that would make a difference. I brought the game a few months after it initially came out.
When I inserted the cd into the drive, a window pops up indicated that there is a compatibility issue. I tried using the compatibility wizard but it doesnt work. Please, Can anyone offer some help? Thank you.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi Mohan:
I bought another game. This one says it works with XP or higher. I installed it with no error message and everything works fine. Thank you and appreciate the help.
Hi Summerbreeze,
Thank you for using the Microsoft Vista Answers Forum!
The common compatibility issues while installing Age of Empires III can be resolved by keeping your computer up to date with Windows Update.
Method 1
1. Click Start, click All Programs, and then click Windows Update.
2. In the navigation pane, click Check for updates, and then follow the steps to install all recommended updates.
You may also follow the Microsoft Knowledge Base article**http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929427.**While installing the compatibility update, make sure that you download the 64-bit edition package.
Method 2
| Uninstall Age Of Empires III |
|---|
| Step 1: Remove the Program from Add/Remove Programs <br><br>1. Click on Start<br><br><br>2. Click on All programs<br><br><br>3. Click on Microsoft games<br><br><br>4. Click on Age of Empires III<br><br><br>5. Click on Uninstall Age of Empires III and follow the uninstall steps to uninstall the game.<br><br><br> <br><br><br>Step 2: Remove the Game folders<br><br><br>1. Right click on Start<br><br><br>2. Click on Explore<br><br><br>3. Click on Program files (x86 folder)<br><br><br>4. Double click on Microsoft games<br><br><br>5. Select Age of Empires III folder and press the Delete key on the keyboard.<br><br><br> <br><br><br>Step 3:Remove the saved game folder<br><br><br>1. Click on Start<br><br><br><br>2. Click on Documents<br><br><br><br>3. Double click on My Games<br><br><br><br>4. Select Age of Empires III folder and press Delete key on the keyboard. |
| Remove the Game from Registry |
|---|
| ** WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.<br><br><br> <br><br><br>Step 1: Remove the game entries under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE<br><br><br>1. Click on Start<br><br><br>2. Click on Start Search<br><br><br>3. In the box type regedt32.exe and press Enter key.<br><br><br>4. Click Ctrl + F key and type age 3 and click Find next<br><br><br>5. Delete the entries for age of empires III. Type age 3 again in ctrl + F and click find next until u delete all the entries<br> for age of empires III.<br><br><br> <br><br><br>Step 2:Remove the game entries under HKEY_CURRENT_USER<br><br><br>1. Click on Start<br><br><br>2. Click on Run<br><br><br>3. In the box type regedit and press Enter key.<br><br><br>4. Double Click on HKEY_CURRENT_USER<br><br><br>5. Double Click on Software<br><br><br>6. Double Click on Microsoft<br><br><br>7. Double Click on Microsoft Games<br><br><br>8. Select Age of Empires 3 folders press Delete key on the keyboard. |
Reinstall Age of Empires III and check what happens.
Please reply and let us know if your issue is resolved or if you will need further assistance.
Mohan
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.