Installing Age of Empires III on a Vista based Computer

Anonymous
2009-06-29T14:05:05+00:00

I am having trouble installing this game (AOE III) on my computer which is a Windows Vista 64-bit based computer.

I have previously used it with Windows XP. I dont know what version it is and if that would make a difference. I brought the game a few months after it initially came out.

When I inserted the cd into the drive, a window pops up indicated that there is a compatibility issue.  I tried using the compatibility wizard but it doesnt work. Please, Can anyone offer some help? Thank you.

Windows for home | Other | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-07-23T01:04:10+00:00

Hi Mohan:

I bought another game. This one says it works with XP or higher. I installed it with no error message and everything works fine.   Thank you and appreciate the help.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2009-07-01T23:43:49+00:00

    Instead of checking online for solutions, just press Run Program and install it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2009-07-01T23:31:04+00:00

    Here are the exact error messeges:

    window 1)   An unidentified program wants access to to your computer                        Options: Allow or cancel

    window 2)   Program compatibility Assistant

                      This program has know compatibility issues.  Check online to see if           Options: Check online for solutions, Run program, or Cancel

                      solutions are available from Mocrosoft webite. If solutions are found

                     windows will automatically display a website that list steps you can take.

                     Age of Empires III is incompatible with this version of Windows. For more

                     informatin contact Microsoft.

    window 3)   No solution can be found for Age of Empires III. windows will notify you    Option: Cancel

                     when solutions become available.

    window 4)   C:\windows\system32\setup.exe                                                         Option: OK

                      Windows cannot find 'C:\windows\system32\setup.exe.'

                      make sure you typoed the name correctly and try again.

    The bold statements are what options I followed in the process in attempting to install. The undelined is the title for the windows. Can the fact that I have a 64-bit version of Windows Vista be the problem? Will Microsoft ever develop something to fix this? I have tried all that is possible. I hope this helps you help me to find a solution because I am eager to play this game but I cant at the moment.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-07-01T21:02:41+00:00

    Thank you. 

    I tried the first and second reference before when I started off with the problems. Thats how I ended up using this forum to get some help.

    I will try to install the game again and write down the exact errors.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2009-07-01T20:01:23+00:00

    Hi Summerbreeze,

    I don’t think you need to buy another game, at least for now. The first thing I did was to check if this game was compatible with Vista, which it is.

    Ref: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/Browse.aspx?type=Software&category=PC%20Gaming&subcategory=Strategy&os=64-bit%20Windows%20Vista

    You can try to install the game in compatibility mode with the instructions provided in the website below.

    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/bf416877-c83f-4476-a3da-8ec98dcf5f101033.mspx

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments