Force Feedback Wheel problems

Anonymous
2009-12-20T01:35:23+00:00

I have a Thrustmaster force feedback wheel that functioned perfectly under Vista service pack one. Since applying service pack 2 the machine will not boot, even in safe mode. Remove the wheel from the usb port, machine boots fine. Replug wheel , instant blue screen. Any ideas. All drivers are compatible according to Thrustmaster and Microsoft websites,

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-20T20:22:50+00:00

Hi macdonald_ron,

Welcome to Microsoft answers!

I would suggest you to try the following steps:

**Step 1:**run the fixit provided in the link below.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Tips-for-solving-problems-with-USB-devices

 If the issue still persists,

**Step 2:**The drivers might have gone corrupt so, Uninstall and reinstall the drivers.

You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

1.         Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Device Manager.   If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2.         In Device Manager, locate the device (mouse and the printer), and then double-click the device name.

3.         Click the Driver tab, and then click uninstall Driver and follow the instructions.

Check the link to manually re-install the drivers

Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly via windows update

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly

Or install the latest drivers from the manufacturer’s website

http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/

Step 3: Connect the device to a different USB port and test.


If the issue persists,

**Step 4:**Reinstall USB controllers.

****First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

1.    Click "Start", type in Device Manager the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

2.    In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the "Host Controller", click "Uninstall" and click "OK".

3.    Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".


Then, restart your computer and windows vista would reinstall all USB controllers automatically.


**Step 5:**Update the motherboard driver to the latest version.

**Note:**Please check with the motherboard manufacturer before installing the driver.

If the issue persists, contact the device manufacturer for more information:

http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/index.php

Thanks and Regards:

Ajay K

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer


Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-01-22T18:55:01+00:00

    I have exactly the same problem with the same wheel (Thrustmaster Force Feedback Racing Wheel). Under Vista 64bit with SP1 it functioned perfectly (used drivers from Thrustmaster's web, 2.7.30). After installation of SP2 : when I plug the wheel in USB, it immediately leads to BSOD . Many people have the same problem: link1 , link2 . It seams to be the problem of SP2 because the verified solution is to uninstall SP2 .

    Next I purchased Windows7 64bit, no BSOD but there is no driver for my wheel. Thrustmaster doesn't offer any driver for this wheel yet, drivers dedicated for Vista don't work. Windows 7 recognized this wheel as Guillemot Force Feedback Racing Wheel (Guillemot and Thrustmaster is the same company), but Microsoft Update doesn't offer any driver or solution... :(

    Please, make some driver for this wheel under W7 64bit, or better: make Thrustmaster to create driver for W7. I wrote to them in September 2009, the answer was: "We are working on those drivers and they will be available soon." (mail from 2009-september-15) And still no driver. No driver no fun. :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-02-27T16:07:27+00:00

    I was also looking for a Window 7 driver for this wheel, I am going to stop buying this type of hardware one of these days, why these companies dont update drivers is so poor!

    BTW.... It states on the Thrustmaster website that ONLY vista sp1 is supported with the latest drivers. Not sure if they added that info after the reports of BSOD with sp2

    I am thinking now, forget new operating systems from MS unless you are prepared to renew all your hardware as well!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-03-06T20:09:48+00:00

    I'm having the same problem. I've tried everything to solve it (just done the USB reinstall bit) and still no joy. I'm one unhappy punter. 'Tiz a damn good wheel too!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-03-14T08:57:01+00:00

    I was able to get the Vista driver to work in Windows 7 x64 - http://ts.thrustmaster.com/download/accessories/pc/Unified\_Drivers/FFBRW\_Vista\_2.7.30.exe

    During installation it asks you to plug or unplug and replug the wheel in, which doesn't seem to work and at this point the installation can not continue.

    I open up task manager and end task FFBRW_Vista_2.7.30.exe and then go into Device Manager and locate the wheel device and update driver manually - browse to folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Thrustmaster\FFB Wheel\drivers and install driver from there. This worked for me but when I open up the properties for the wheel under "Control Panel\Devices and Printers" it's in Italian which isn't a big deal as you can get the idea of what everything is. There is probably a way to select the English driver which I didn't see but it doesn't matter as I can now use it! Confirmed working.

    Hope this helps.

    ps. The Thrustmaster site does mention they have a Windows 7 driver but I can not see it on their site anywhere.. You could try this one which seems to have the same date as the news article on their site - ftp.thrustmaster.com:/accessories/pc/Unified\_Drivers/2009\_FFD\_1.exe

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments