Force Feedback Wheel problems

Anonymous
2009-12-20T01:35:23+00:00

I have a Thrustmaster force feedback wheel that functioned perfectly under Vista service pack one. Since applying service pack 2 the machine will not boot, even in safe mode. Remove the wheel from the usb port, machine boots fine. Replug wheel , instant blue screen. Any ideas. All drivers are compatible according to Thrustmaster and Microsoft websites,

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-20T20:22:50+00:00

Hi macdonald_ron,

Welcome to Microsoft answers!

I would suggest you to try the following steps:

**Step 1:**run the fixit provided in the link below.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Tips-for-solving-problems-with-USB-devices

 If the issue still persists,

**Step 2:**The drivers might have gone corrupt so, Uninstall and reinstall the drivers.

You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

1.         Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Device Manager.   If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2.         In Device Manager, locate the device (mouse and the printer), and then double-click the device name.

3.         Click the Driver tab, and then click uninstall Driver and follow the instructions.

Check the link to manually re-install the drivers

Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly via windows update

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly

Or install the latest drivers from the manufacturer’s website

http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/

Step 3: Connect the device to a different USB port and test.


If the issue persists,

**Step 4:**Reinstall USB controllers.

****First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

1.    Click "Start", type in Device Manager the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

2.    In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the "Host Controller", click "Uninstall" and click "OK".

3.    Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".


Then, restart your computer and windows vista would reinstall all USB controllers automatically.


**Step 5:**Update the motherboard driver to the latest version.

**Note:**Please check with the motherboard manufacturer before installing the driver.

If the issue persists, contact the device manufacturer for more information:

http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/index.php

Thanks and Regards:

Ajay K

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer


Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-04-29T09:41:07+00:00

    I have the exact same problem and running Win 7 SP1.

    Tried the workaround using vista SP1 compability mode and all installed perfectly until i inserted the USB and it started to install the drivers. Bam!!! Bluescreen.....

    If anyone finds a sulotion for this. please post here.

    //Jimmy

    Edit: I uninstalled SP1 from my Win7 and after that i could use nascarmilt's guide and run it in Vista SP1 mode. No bluescreen and all buttons works. Thanks alot m8

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-04-23T01:11:08+00:00

    My awnser is don't buy this wheel or any MS products especially if you are planing on upgrading to a windows 7 64 bit.

    Microsoft does not support what it sells. it does not make drivers for older hardware for new OS. they want you to buy more of their ****.,

    So I repeat.

    DO NOT BUY ANYTHING MICTORSOFT. you will regrett it

    I have search for anwsers to get things fix and MS anwser is well you can just buy a upgrade we don;t suport that product anymore.

    So this what I think ofabout win 7 - 64 bit.

    I am a professional graphic designer. I have run and operated many different systems in my 27 years of working as a graphic designer and in my opinion; win 7 - 64 bit is a pig. It uses tons of space that no one in Microsoft can seem to give a straight answer too, why they made it that way your guess is as good as mine.. the best answer they have is hard drives are cheap just buiy another HDD.. let me tell you a 60 gig SSD drive is not cheap in my book. At $180 a pop, unless your Bill Gates.

    I currently have a desk top Intel i7- 980 extreme, with 12 gigs of ram and a 2 gig GTX Nvida graphic card. Running windows 7 professional 64 bit

    I set it up to have a 55 gig corsair SSD 20x gig speed drive especially dedicated just for the OS.

    I have a 1TB HDD drive for my program’s such as Adobe creative suite CS4 CS5 and my 3D animation programs. Like Daz and 3D max and poser I use for rendering movie animation, along with a few other programs.. I also have a 2 TB HDD drive for storage for my business graphic design files etc. which I also had to use also now for my system back up. Because I had to disable the system restore in the OS because it was taking up to much space... which I feel is not a good thing to do but I had to have the space.

    I got this computer January 27 2011 to replace my XP pro 64 bit and as of today Feb 26 2011 My SSD drive is completely full.. Mind you I have nothing on it but OS system on it..

    Now before I installed anything on my new system when I got it. I shut off the system restore and the hibernating features page-fiiling and indexing all the other features I would not use. I over clocked the system by 10% to give me a extra boost during long renders

    Now today feb 26 2011 windows went to update today and couldn’t because my SSD drive is completely full. GUESS WHAT? I don’t care. I refuse to let windows use any other of my other drives and I’m not buying anymore for the OS.

    Hard drives to me are not cheap, and plus I have 3 hard drive now so why do I need more just for a pig of an operating system which should only use a ¼ of the 55 gig drive its on now. I am very very disappointed with Windows 7 64 bit. And I will not recommend it to any of my clients. Because Microsoft doesn’t seem to really care about addressing issues with this fat pig of a system eating up a lot of space. In Double files and double file naming. Not to mention the x986) program file for win 32 programs. And a lot of software companies are not supporting win7 64 bit.

    . So I refuse to let windows use any of my other drive for their OS . I think 55 gig is way more than enough. So if any of you want a screaming machine at this point that you will need to buy hard drives about every month for to satisfy the operating system. I will gladly sell you my computer for $2800 that is $300 less than I paid for it to be built. so I can get a different machine and operating system

    I goping to post this comment on ever MS forum site i can find

    DO NOT BUY A MS product software or hardware. you'll just be throwing good money away.

    buy an apple and live happy ever after.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-03-22T21:29:35+00:00

    From Thrustmaster today as I really wanted to drive some games with it.

    This is what I got back per email today :

    "Thank you for your request. In order to resolve the issue you have encountered with your Force Feedback Racing wheel, please refer to our response herewith:

    The Force Feedback Racing Wheel is not supported under Windows Vista SP2, it will only work under SP1.

    No solutions are available at this moment and new driver updates will not be made.

    Thank you for your cooperation and understanding."

    Now, it works at Vista64 SP1/Win7(manually) and not anymore with SP2. Who or how to solve this and what is changed to SP2 to give a B.S.O.D.?

    People need to force to make it work in Win7 and will be afraid that a Win7 patch/ service pack will disable this device again. Is there a 'work arround' for this ?

    Cheers and looking forward for a solution. As even my 20 year old car that still have parts available to make it to work.

    With regards,

    Ray

    /Edit: I just saw the second page. Ok, now it is disabled in Win7 again.

    What was the security issue with the drivers or HAL/OS system? Inform Thrustmaster please that they can have a newer software package by your MS support. I don't like to have DUAL boot drives for this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-03-19T15:27:33+00:00

    I too have issues with installing on Windows 7 x64 SP1, also tried compatibility mode.

    Hopefully this can be resolved soon.

    Maybe have a new Windows 7 (Non-SP1) compatibility mode?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments