Sorry, I've tried this several times and I don't seem to be able to replicate what you're experiencing.
Windows Explorer navigation pane changing position when viewing sub directories
Try this and then offer suggestion. Open Windows Explorer and open up enough drives and or directories to completely fill the nav pane. Now view a directory at the bottom of the list and make sure it has a sub-directory. Click the plus to view the sub-directory and bam, the focus goes to the top of the nav pane when we clearly are working at the bottom of the list. This is very annoying. I mentioned this during the testing phase of Win7 more than three times and no body listened. I may look for an Explorer replacement if some of the issues with it arent fixed. And to think there was nothing wrong with Windows Explorer and it didnt need to be refined, repaired, fixed, or anything but Microsoft just had to fool with it and make it totally dis-functional. The search is all screwed up too. You cant right click, search a directory anymore. Not happy with this OPSYS and still believe it was released pre-maturely.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
55 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2010-02-12T00:13:05+00:00 -
Anonymous
2010-02-12T01:10:42+00:00 Open a windows explorer
show folders on left
In the left window:
Double Click Computer
Double Click C disk
Scroll to windows Double Click
Double Click diagnostics (example)
The folder is now moved to the bottom of the folder list.
This also happens when any folder is clicked once and the the open gadget is clicked once.
This is increadably annoying.
And, no one can fix this except MS managers.
Or, for users to install another file utility.
-
Anonymous
2010-02-13T18:50:35+00:00 This "feature" irritates the heck out of me. I like Win7 overall but that was one of few issues I've noticed right from the start. This really needs to be fixed.
Sergey (DPack - www.usysware.com/dpack/)
-
Anonymous
2010-03-12T23:04:03+00:00 yes, one of the most annoying things in W7....please fix MS
-
Anonymous
2010-05-06T17:36:40+00:00 Still no answer from MS.
I can't understand how Kaari J can't replicate this, the steps mentioned make it happen every time. I find this only a little annoying though.
The one that really gets me is the other thing mentioned in this thread; using the arrow keys to scroll through lists of folders does not show the contents of the folder in the main pane. Also, single-clicking on a folder does not expand it automatically.
These three things worked perfectly in Windows XP, why not Windows 7? The first one is clearly a bug, that MS don't seem to acknowledge, or find a fix for. The second two are simply bad design, discarding features that are genuinely useful. Please put them back in.
Thanks,
Stephen