Windows Explorer navigation pane changing position when viewing sub directories

Anonymous
2009-11-16T00:52:21+00:00

Try this and then offer suggestion. Open Windows Explorer and open up enough drives and or directories to completely fill the nav pane. Now view a directory at the bottom of the list and make sure it has a sub-directory. Click the plus to view the sub-directory and bam, the focus goes to the top of the nav pane when we clearly are working at the bottom of the list. This is very annoying. I mentioned this during the testing phase of Win7 more than three times and no body listened. I may look for an Explorer replacement if some of the issues with it arent fixed. And to think there was nothing wrong with Windows Explorer and it didnt need to be refined, repaired,  fixed, or anything but Microsoft just had to fool with it and make it totally dis-functional. The search is all screwed up too. You cant right click, search a directory anymore. Not happy with this OPSYS and still believe it was released pre-maturely.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

55 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-01-26T04:49:08+00:00

    Say when I start from C: and then go to Users, find my name double click on that, all the folders under User X are shown ie instead of bottom of the screen, the folder user X moves in the middle to show all the folders,

    What you describe here has nothing to do with the problem. Double clicking a folder in the right-hand pane will open the folder in the left-hand pane, revealing it's subfolders (if "Expand to current folder" is checked) just as you described. That's how we expect it to work.

    then I select  My documents (which has a lot of folders) and click on the arrow on the side of it, and My Documents now moves on the top of the screen and displays all folders, and then I continue the same way well down deep and Windows Explorer attempts to show all the folders in the navigation pane as there are by moving the top level up as much as possible.

    Clicking on the arrow to expand a folder in the left-hand pane is working as expected too in my opinion.

    However, try clicking on the folder itself rather than the arrow. The folder will jump to the bottom of the list so that the subfolders are outside the viewable area, which means that further scrolling is required to view/access the subfolders. That's the problem we are talking about here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-01-25T23:43:03+00:00

    Hmm I've read and re-read the description of the problem and trying to replicate it, and it doesn't happen to me. I use Windows 7 Pro, and this doesn't happen. i go either to my my computer and start from there to find my files deep down, or I go to Libraries, documents and click 12 subfolders down from My documents to find a file, and the focus never moves.... Or what am I missing here?

    Say when I start from C: and then go to Users, find my name double click on that, all the folders under User X are shown ie instead of bottom of the screen, the folder user X moves in the middle to show all the folders, then I select  My documents (which has a lot of folders) and click on the arrow on the side of it, and My Documents now moves on the top of the screen and displays all (well nearly as there are more folders than fit the screen) folders, and then I continue the same way well down deep and Windows Explorer attempts to show all the folders in the navigation pane as there are by moving the top level up as much as possible. How deep down I am, I can see in the address panel on the top. So am I not understanding the problem?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-01-25T17:57:31+00:00

    We get what we pay for: windows explorer is "free" and obviously not to be used as we want to use it.

    Isn't the Mac model much better: icons, no words, no trees, no extensions: just use it as is and DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DEVIATE FROM THE PRESCRIBED DIRECTIONS. Getting closer to WinMac with every version o WinDoes.

    Free: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_Commander

    I like this one. But the F5 key is not mapped to REFRESH, it is GOTO. From spread sheets. But F5 is now used to refresh screens. They should change this. Not many people use GOTO these days.

    Paid: Powerdesk: http://www.avanquest.com/USA/software/powerdesk-pro-7-96228

    I have used this for years: the free and paid versions. Still a better search function than WV and W7.

    J

    ============================

    Bugs, comments & suggestions:

    We expect this application to not always perform as described. This is by design. There are no bugs in our software, only undefined behaviors, and undocumented features. Enjoy the process of discovery. Please inform us of any unique actions you have encountered that we may include them in the list of known features.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-01-25T04:40:56+00:00

    This bug has been driving me CRAZY. I figurd it was a bug and would be fixed ASAP... but ASAP has come and gone. What the heck was wrong with the file manager in XP? NOTHING? Why did they see the need to break it? This is absurd. It is RIDICULOUSLY dysfunctional.

    Is there any way to completely replace Windows Explorer with some third-party utility that actually works?

    In case anyone is unclear about the bug under discussion, a (very, very low resolution) video has been posted here: http://video.denada.dk/video.php?id=774HGLFWs

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2010-01-20T03:29:07+00:00

    " This behavior is by design and is working as intended."

    LOL! Priceless.

    "It was our intention to annoy our users"

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments