Windows Explorer navigation pane changing position when viewing sub directories

Anonymous
2009-11-16T00:52:21+00:00

Try this and then offer suggestion. Open Windows Explorer and open up enough drives and or directories to completely fill the nav pane. Now view a directory at the bottom of the list and make sure it has a sub-directory. Click the plus to view the sub-directory and bam, the focus goes to the top of the nav pane when we clearly are working at the bottom of the list. This is very annoying. I mentioned this during the testing phase of Win7 more than three times and no body listened. I may look for an Explorer replacement if some of the issues with it arent fixed. And to think there was nothing wrong with Windows Explorer and it didnt need to be refined, repaired,  fixed, or anything but Microsoft just had to fool with it and make it totally dis-functional. The search is all screwed up too. You cant right click, search a directory anymore. Not happy with this OPSYS and still believe it was released pre-maturely.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

55 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-12-26T11:28:16+00:00

    This is INDEED MOST FRUSTRATING! While working in Windows 7 explorer's navigator I've used language I've not used since getting out of the service in 1962! This problem in my opinion is all due to the LIBRARIES feature. If you don't have many library shortcuts then you will probably not notice this PROBLEM much. It is a PROBLEM and is there. This is the BIG NO-NO I discuss with anyone I talk with who is thinking of upgrading to Windows 7. Just don't plan on using the library feature. It SUCKS!.

    jOHN

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-11-14T17:59:39+00:00

    Iwe all know win7's windows explorer sucks. but why did smart guys at MS morph the trust-worthy explorer in xp/2003 into the stupid one in win7/win2008?

    there is a reason: those guys need to come up with new ideas to get new projects approved and therefore stay employed. It's much harder to come up with ideas that make the underlying system work more efficiently/smoothly; so instead they came up with ideas to *spruce up* the UI.

    I think windows has evolved into something that heavily favors really-really stupid users who really dont care (or dare?) to use windows explorer and search thru the tree of folders. all these idiots can reasonally manage to do is to open their mydocuments folder on the desktop, open my movies sub folder, then open a movie and watch it; or go to my pictures and browse thru the photos taken during their last trip to the beach. Yeah, that's pretty much all these stupid users can do with a computer. and microsoft figured that maybe 80% of all windows users are of this category, so they ripped out the old trust-worthy windows explorer and threw this piece of junk into win7 so that these idiots can *work* better.

    very pathetic imho.

    I have to agree with you. I've now spent over a week trying to make Explorer work well in Windows 7, and I've come to the conclusion that the Libraries thing (a mess!) was set up for people who only use their computers to watch movies, play game, or listen to music. I've installed Classic Shell, wich helps a bit. But I want my plus signs and an all-print tree and I can't figure out how to get tid of all those stupid little icons cluttering up my screen and making long file lists difficult to read.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-11-11T11:26:00+00:00

    we all know win7's windows explorer sucks. but why did smart guys at MS morph the trust-worthy explorer in xp/2003 into the stupid one in win7/win2008?

    there is a reason: those guys need to come up with new ideas to get new projects approved and therefore stay employed. It's much harder to come up with ideas that make the underlying system work more efficiently/smoothly; so instead they came up with ideas to *spruce up* the UI.

    I think windows has evolved into something that heavily favors really-really stupid users who really dont care (or dare?) to use windows explorer and search thru the tree of folders. all these idiots can reasonally manage to do is to open their mydocuments folder on the desktop, open my movies sub folder, then open a movie and watch it; or go to my pictures and browse thru the photos taken during their last trip to the beach. Yeah, that's pretty much all these stupid users can do with a computer. and microsoft figured that maybe 80% of all windows users are of this category, so they ripped out the old trust-worthy windows explorer and threw this piece of junk into win7 so that these idiots can *work* better.

    very pathetic imho.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-11-06T13:51:22+00:00

    Go to Tools> folder options>General tab. Disable "Automatically expand to current folder." You'll have to do some scrolling, but not NEAR as much as before.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2010-08-20T01:31:16+00:00

    Iagree - add me to the list as well. File explorer in 7 sucks!! I submitted a question about it elsewhere in this forum and Andre.Ziegler about jumped down my throat and told me I ought to go back to XP until "i'm ready to learn something new"!! What kind of help is that?

    I was told there are 3rd party proggies out there but have no idea where to start looking. Anyone have any ideas? 7's file system is such a mess I have lost stuff on my own hard drive.

    Thanks for any help!

    Roberta

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments