Windows Explorer navigation pane changing position when viewing sub directories

Anonymous
2009-11-16T00:52:21+00:00

Try this and then offer suggestion. Open Windows Explorer and open up enough drives and or directories to completely fill the nav pane. Now view a directory at the bottom of the list and make sure it has a sub-directory. Click the plus to view the sub-directory and bam, the focus goes to the top of the nav pane when we clearly are working at the bottom of the list. This is very annoying. I mentioned this during the testing phase of Win7 more than three times and no body listened. I may look for an Explorer replacement if some of the issues with it arent fixed. And to think there was nothing wrong with Windows Explorer and it didnt need to be refined, repaired,  fixed, or anything but Microsoft just had to fool with it and make it totally dis-functional. The search is all screwed up too. You cant right click, search a directory anymore. Not happy with this OPSYS and still believe it was released pre-maturely.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

55 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-02-19T14:30:20+00:00

    I am past frustrated!

    I really like 90% of Windows 7 Pro...    BUT

    This Explorer "Feature" and the total debauchery of the XP style Search function are two of the reasons I have boycotted MS products in my company and in my client's companies.

    We have found great alternatives to MS products and are very happy.

    Can't get all my clients to switch OSs yet so Windows 

    But again, if MS would quit playing Apple and listen to US I would convert back.

    Their manuals suck... non-existent, Their help sucks... just parrot the words back and then tell you to do what you are asking them How to do...

    I can go on forever, but you all already know the drill.

    Do any MS people monitor these forums at all?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2011-12-28T17:13:06+00:00

    This does not fix the problem.

    Open a bunch of folders so some are not visible at the bottom in the tree on the left.

    If only a few are visible on the left no change will occur.

    Scroll so the bottom folders are visible.

    Double click on one of the folders in the middle.

    The tree moves the selected folder toward the bottom, as far as it can.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2011-12-20T13:07:36+00:00

    I think I've found a solution...

    Maybe others have done so before me, but this is what I did...

    I opened Windows Explorer

    Clicked on the button "Organise" close to the upper left corner

    In the menu i chose "Folder and Search Options"

    In the "Folder Options" dialog box I click to activate "Autmaticalley Expand to Current Folder"

    I am running a norwegian version of Windows 7 Ultimate on a modern computer built for gaming...

    So pleas excuse my poor translation

    I have tried thie for an hour now, and it seems to work as I want it to work...

    --ØG--

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments