Just to explain my partition size set-up, in case it sheds any light on the matter:
C:\ 100GB (includes Windows installation)
E:\ 1.92TB (includes My Documents folder)
Thanks for your work.
Andrew
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I've been trying for a long while to backup to a 1.5TB hard drive. I have my documents on my E: drive and my Windows 7 installation on my C: drive. Windows backup is set to backup my E: drive and also a system image to my backup I: drive. There's plenty of space on it - it's completely blank.
Every time I try to run Windows Backup, it almost completes, then at the last moment I'm told it's failed with error 0x81000001 - "an internal error", which isn't very informative.
I've run error checks on the backup hard drive and haven't found any problems. Also run sfc - no problems found.
Has anyone any suggestions?
Thanks.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Just to explain my partition size set-up, in case it sheds any light on the matter:
C:\ 100GB (includes Windows installation)
E:\ 1.92TB (includes My Documents folder)
Thanks for your work.
Andrew
Tried some additional testing with that 175GB file, the error I get is still the same as before (0x80070008). The article has been posted to my web site and the next thing I plan to do is see if the technique in the article will fix the 0x80070008 error.
Your partitions also have a small 100MB "System" partition followed by the C:\ 100GB (includes Windows installation) and E:\ 1.92TB (includes My Documents folder).
I just noticed that you indicated that the "My Documents" folder is on the E: partition. Did you move it from the default C: partition to E: and if so how did you accomplish this. May have some bearing on the problem.
JS
Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.
Tried some additional testing with that 175GB file, the error I get is still the same as before (0x80070008). The article has been posted to my web site and the next thing I plan to do is see if the technique in the article will fix the 0x80070008 error.
Your partitions also have a small 100MB "System" partition followed by the C:\ 100GB (includes Windows installation) and E:\ 1.92TB (includes My Documents folder).
I just noticed that you indicated that the "My Documents" folder is on the E: partition. Did you move it from the default C: partition to E: and if so how did you accomplish this. May have some bearing on the problem.
JS
Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.
Hi JS,
I should have been more specific. I still have my user folder on the C: drive, but I created Documents, Videos, and Music folders on the E: drive and set up Libraries to only include those folders and ignore those on the C: drive. Additionally, a couple of folders inside my C: user folder are actually just symbolic links to E: drive subfolders; however, I don't think they have any bearing on this since they do not contain the massive files the backup is choking on.
Thanks,
Andrew
So you created a folder in your library, that folder contains a link to the 160GB file which is physically located in a folder on your E: (partition or drive letter), yes/no ?
JS
Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.
So you created a folder in your library, that folder contains a link to the 160GB file which is physically located in a folder on your E: (partition or drive letter), yes/no ?
JS
Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.
That's right, I think: my Videos library contains a folder which has a subfolder that contains the 160GB file, and it's on the E: partition.