Windows Backup nearly completes but fails with 0x81000001 error

Anonymous
2010-08-04T12:36:12+00:00

I've been trying for a long while to backup to a 1.5TB hard drive. I have my documents on my E: drive and my Windows 7 installation on my C: drive. Windows backup is set to backup my E: drive and also a system image to my backup I: drive. There's plenty of space on it - it's completely blank.

Every time I try to run Windows Backup, it almost completes, then at the last moment I'm told it's failed with error 0x81000001 - "an internal error", which isn't very informative.

I've run error checks on the backup hard drive and haven't found any problems. Also run sfc - no problems found.

Has anyone any suggestions?

Thanks.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-11-23T23:17:50+00:00

    I think I have a clue as to what the problem may be. As soon as I finish my eval of the Windows 7 SP1 RC I'll try to reproduce the error and see if the fix (System Reserved partition may be too small) works.

    JS

    http://www.pagestart.com


    Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

    Hi JS,

    Just wondering - have you managed to try reproducing the error and testing a possible solution?

    Thanks,

    Andrew

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-11-24T01:18:07+00:00

    I'm about to publish my results on my web site within the day or two. However I still need to try a few more things for your specific case of very large files and may not be part of the article.

    Sorry for the delay. But it takes multple test and verification, documenting and more testing, revising the documentation, try variations and so on. Took more time than planned.

    JS

    http://www.pagestart.com


    Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-11-24T03:04:57+00:00

    Know of any place where I can download a 160GB file?

    JS

    http://www.pagestart.com


    Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-11-25T03:44:06+00:00

    Created a file that was about 175GB. Tried twice to reproduce the error. Note: Destination drive has more than 900GB of free space.

    1. 175GB file located only in the root of the Windows partition (C:\MyFile.zip). Backup did not fail.
    2. Copied the file to the Documents folder. Now there where two 175GB files. Backup failed with error code 0x80070008 "Not enough storage is available to process this command."

    More testing to do.

    JS

    http://www.pagestart.com


    Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2010-11-27T08:26:56+00:00

    Know of any place where I can download a 160GB file?

    JS

    http://www.pagestart.com


    Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

    I generated my large files by creating TrueCrypt volumes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments