Windows Backup nearly completes but fails with 0x81000001 error

Anonymous
2010-08-04T12:36:12+00:00

I've been trying for a long while to backup to a 1.5TB hard drive. I have my documents on my E: drive and my Windows 7 installation on my C: drive. Windows backup is set to backup my E: drive and also a system image to my backup I: drive. There's plenty of space on it - it's completely blank.

Every time I try to run Windows Backup, it almost completes, then at the last moment I'm told it's failed with error 0x81000001 - "an internal error", which isn't very informative.

I've run error checks on the backup hard drive and haven't found any problems. Also run sfc - no problems found.

Has anyone any suggestions?

Thanks.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-09-19T13:50:07+00:00

    Try either of these two product and see if you still have a backup issue.

    Norton Ghost version 15 - has a 30 day trial available

    http://www.symantec.com/norton/ghost

    Supports: CDR/RW, DVD+-R/RW, Blu-Ray devices,USB and FireWire® (IEEE 1394) devices,Iomega® Zip® and Jaz® drives

    (Trial does not allow you to create a Bootable Restore CD)

    http://www.symantec.com/norton/downloads/trialsoftware/register.jsp?pvid=ghost15

    User's Guide: ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/products/ghost/15/manuals/ngh_15_user_guide.pdf

    Acronis True Image 2011 - has a 30 day trial version available,

    (Install Acronis and then create a Restore/Rescue Media CD before you start creating an image backup)

    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

    Version Comparison: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/comparison.html

    True Image User Guides and documentation:

    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/docs/

    JS

    http://www.pagestart.com


    Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-09-26T08:26:02+00:00

    I've made an interesting discovery with Windows Backup. By specifying specific folders for it to back up, I gradually narrowed it down all the way to one particular file that's 160GB in size. If I exclude this file from the backup, it completes successfully.

    It's on an NTFS volume so I expected that it would be able to handle it. Is there a known problem with Windows Backup and very large files?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-09-26T14:21:16+00:00

    Can you do a copy and paste of this file 160GB from source location to the backup and restore destination?

    JS

    http://www.pagestart.com


    Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-09-27T14:40:19+00:00

    Well, I can, but I'm really not satisfied with that as a solution - I really want Windows Backup to operate as the fire-and-forget strategy that it claims to be. Therefore, I would like to know if there are known problems with Windows Backup backing up large files.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2010-09-27T14:50:44+00:00

    Well I've never had to backup a single file that large. What I can tell you is that if the file is located somewhere in your 'Documents' folder it is Zipped and stored in a destination folder who's name is the same as your computer named. A second copy is stored in the System Image file.

    Have you tried just a simple 'System Image' backup (option is located in upper left of Backup and Restore.

    JS

    http://www.pagestart.com


    Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments