Windows Backup nearly completes but fails with 0x81000001 error

Anonymous
2010-08-04T12:36:12+00:00

I've been trying for a long while to backup to a 1.5TB hard drive. I have my documents on my E: drive and my Windows 7 installation on my C: drive. Windows backup is set to backup my E: drive and also a system image to my backup I: drive. There's plenty of space on it - it's completely blank.

Every time I try to run Windows Backup, it almost completes, then at the last moment I'm told it's failed with error 0x81000001 - "an internal error", which isn't very informative.

I've run error checks on the backup hard drive and haven't found any problems. Also run sfc - no problems found.

Has anyone any suggestions?

Thanks.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-09-15T11:56:49+00:00

    Click Backup and Restore's Manage space option. In the Manage Windows Backup disk window, you will find information about the current backup destination.

    JS

    http://www.pagestart.com


    Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

    I can open the Manage Windows Backup window, but what am I looking for in it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-09-15T12:02:03+00:00

    Click Backup and Restore's Manage space option. In the Manage Windows Backup disk window, you will find information about the current backup destination.

    JS

    http://www.pagestart.com


    Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-09-15T13:15:08+00:00

    Click Backup and Restore's Manage space option. In the Manage Windows Backup disk window, you will find information about the current backup destination.

    JS

    http://www.pagestart.com


    Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

    Yes, but how is the information there useful to me in solving this problem?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-09-15T13:21:19+00:00

    By default the backup destination device / partition must have at least 30% more free space than the partition / hard drive you are trying to backup. 

    JS

    http://www.pagestart.com


    Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2010-09-19T13:33:27+00:00

    By default the backup destination device / partition must have at least 30% more free space than the partition / hard drive you are trying to backup. 

    JS

    http://www.pagestart.com


    Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

    Do you mean the backup destination 30% more free space than the free space of the backup source, or 30% more than theused space of the backup source? In any case, I'm trying to back up about 960GB of data to a 1.36TB drive, so I think I should have enough space.

    I've now tried different hard drives and different cables so I'm strongly suspecting that Windows Backup has some sort of bug in it that's causing it to choke on my backup for some reason.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments