Windows Backup nearly completes but fails with 0x81000001 error

Anonymous
2010-08-04T12:36:12+00:00

I've been trying for a long while to backup to a 1.5TB hard drive. I have my documents on my E: drive and my Windows 7 installation on my C: drive. Windows backup is set to backup my E: drive and also a system image to my backup I: drive. There's plenty of space on it - it's completely blank.

Every time I try to run Windows Backup, it almost completes, then at the last moment I'm told it's failed with error 0x81000001 - "an internal error", which isn't very informative.

I've run error checks on the backup hard drive and haven't found any problems. Also run sfc - no problems found.

Has anyone any suggestions?

Thanks.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-09-26T18:42:15+00:00

    Ok, 1 1/2 years later I've encountered the Windows 7 backup error 0x81000001 at the end of a backup. Did you ever get a satisfactory answer? I've hit a wall. Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-09-27T05:53:02+00:00

    Ok, 1 1/2 years later I've encountered the Windows 7 backup error 0x81000001 at the end of a backup. Did you ever get a satisfactory answer? I've hit a wall. Thanks!

    Not a word, I think I gave up... honestly I do not remember how I dealt with it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-09-27T18:26:40+00:00

    Sheeeeesh. Well thanks for all your sleuthing. You've saved me a lot of time and effort. As Thomas Edison told his distraught lab assistant after their umpteenth attempt to produce an incandescent light bulb didn't work out, "We haven't failed; we've just found 10,000 ways that don't work!"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-01-27T23:11:10+00:00

    In my case,   I had a recent full re-structure of my 2008 PC box,   

    to an H77 based motherboard.

      I bought a new external 2Tb Hard Drive.

    After a pristine full re-installation of Windows 7 Professional, Windows

    Backups initially worked;

    however, once I connected the external 2 Tb HD and installed it's proprietary

    (extra) software,    AND   re-installed my licensed KIS 2012,  

    I received the same error message after my weekly Windows Backup - 0x81000001.

      In my case I fixed this by -

      -  disabling KIS 2012 and disconnecting from the Internet,  and rebooting, and

      -  switching off the 'Turbo Files' and other extra programs that came with the external HD, and

      THEN my backup worked fine !

    It seems that changes when new hardware and/or new software are installed,

    may affect the internal O/S checking of the validity of backups. The failure seems to be in the

    System Image checking.

      - hence the warnings elsewhere to consider returning to simpler A/V protection, etc.

    However, the Error Code is not particularly helpful in pin-pointing the precise cause.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments