Well, I can, but I'm really not satisfied with that as a solution - I really want Windows Backup to operate as the fire-and-forget strategy that it claims to be. Therefore, I would like to know if there are known problems with Windows Backup backing up large files.
Windows Backup nearly completes but fails with 0x81000001 error
I've been trying for a long while to backup to a 1.5TB hard drive. I have my documents on my E: drive and my Windows 7 installation on my C: drive. Windows backup is set to backup my E: drive and also a system image to my backup I: drive. There's plenty of space on it - it's completely blank.
Every time I try to run Windows Backup, it almost completes, then at the last moment I'm told it's failed with error 0x81000001 - "an internal error", which isn't very informative.
I've run error checks on the backup hard drive and haven't found any problems. Also run sfc - no problems found.
Has anyone any suggestions?
Thanks.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
49 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2010-09-27T14:40:19+00:00 -
Anonymous
2010-09-26T14:21:16+00:00 Can you do a copy and paste of this file 160GB from source location to the backup and restore destination?
JS
Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.
-
Anonymous
2010-09-26T08:26:02+00:00 I've made an interesting discovery with Windows Backup. By specifying specific folders for it to back up, I gradually narrowed it down all the way to one particular file that's 160GB in size. If I exclude this file from the backup, it completes successfully.
It's on an NTFS volume so I expected that it would be able to handle it. Is there a known problem with Windows Backup and very large files?
-
Anonymous
2010-09-19T13:50:07+00:00 Try either of these two product and see if you still have a backup issue.
Norton Ghost version 15 - has a 30 day trial available
http://www.symantec.com/norton/ghost
Supports: CDR/RW, DVD+-R/RW, Blu-Ray devices,USB and FireWire® (IEEE 1394) devices,Iomega® Zip® and Jaz® drives
(Trial does not allow you to create a Bootable Restore CD)
http://www.symantec.com/norton/downloads/trialsoftware/register.jsp?pvid=ghost15
User's Guide: ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/products/ghost/15/manuals/ngh_15_user_guide.pdf
Acronis True Image 2011 - has a 30 day trial version available,
(Install Acronis and then create a Restore/Rescue Media CD before you start creating an image backup)
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
Version Comparison: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/comparison.html
True Image User Guides and documentation:
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/docs/
JS
Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.
-
Anonymous
2010-09-19T13:33:27+00:00 By default the backup destination device / partition must have at least 30% more free space than the partition / hard drive you are trying to backup.
JS
Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.
Do you mean the backup destination 30% more free space than the free space of the backup source, or 30% more than theused space of the backup source? In any case, I'm trying to back up about 960GB of data to a 1.36TB drive, so I think I should have enough space.
I've now tried different hard drives and different cables so I'm strongly suspecting that Windows Backup has some sort of bug in it that's causing it to choke on my backup for some reason.