Made some progress, backup still fails but in the past it failed before it reached 50% complete, now it fails at about 95% complete.
JS
Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I've been trying for a long while to backup to a 1.5TB hard drive. I have my documents on my E: drive and my Windows 7 installation on my C: drive. Windows backup is set to backup my E: drive and also a system image to my backup I: drive. There's plenty of space on it - it's completely blank.
Every time I try to run Windows Backup, it almost completes, then at the last moment I'm told it's failed with error 0x81000001 - "an internal error", which isn't very informative.
I've run error checks on the backup hard drive and haven't found any problems. Also run sfc - no problems found.
Has anyone any suggestions?
Thanks.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Made some progress, backup still fails but in the past it failed before it reached 50% complete, now it fails at about 95% complete.
JS
Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.
That's right, I think: my Videos library contains a folder which has a subfolder that contains the 160GB file, and it's on the E: partition.
I created your configuration, started a new backup and received an error code: 0x80070008, so I could not reproduce your specific error code: 0x81000001
Out of ideas at this point.
JS
Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.
Hello,
Please proceed with the following support steps....
-Manually Create a Restore Point incase of a Failure....
Go to this directory…
C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Backup
Please delete the files within this Directory (Windows Backup Monitor, Check Full, and Automatic Backup)
Once these files have been deleted, now you would have to go to the registry and go to the following directory…
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Backup
***Please right click on “Task Cache” Key and export a copy to your desktop***
Once that has been completed, delete the Windows Backup Key.
Restart and Test and verify if Backup and Restore is functioning successfully.
Thank you,
Aaron
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think
I'll try duplicating the location of the file on my test PC and get back to you (will take a while as I'm in the final stages of repairing an old Windows XP PC, need to complete the driver installations and perform an Image Backup).
JS
Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.
So you created a folder in your library, that folder contains a link to the 160GB file which is physically located in a folder on your E: (partition or drive letter), yes/no ?
JS
Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.
That's right, I think: my Videos library contains a folder which has a subfolder that contains the 160GB file, and it's on the E: partition.