Windows Backup nearly completes but fails with 0x81000001 error

Anonymous
2010-08-04T12:36:12+00:00

I've been trying for a long while to backup to a 1.5TB hard drive. I have my documents on my E: drive and my Windows 7 installation on my C: drive. Windows backup is set to backup my E: drive and also a system image to my backup I: drive. There's plenty of space on it - it's completely blank.

Every time I try to run Windows Backup, it almost completes, then at the last moment I'm told it's failed with error 0x81000001 - "an internal error", which isn't very informative.

I've run error checks on the backup hard drive and haven't found any problems. Also run sfc - no problems found.

Has anyone any suggestions?

Thanks.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-01-27T23:11:10+00:00

    In my case,   I had a recent full re-structure of my 2008 PC box,   

    to an H77 based motherboard.

      I bought a new external 2Tb Hard Drive.

    After a pristine full re-installation of Windows 7 Professional, Windows

    Backups initially worked;

    however, once I connected the external 2 Tb HD and installed it's proprietary

    (extra) software,    AND   re-installed my licensed KIS 2012,  

    I received the same error message after my weekly Windows Backup - 0x81000001.

      In my case I fixed this by -

      -  disabling KIS 2012 and disconnecting from the Internet,  and rebooting, and

      -  switching off the 'Turbo Files' and other extra programs that came with the external HD, and

      THEN my backup worked fine !

    It seems that changes when new hardware and/or new software are installed,

    may affect the internal O/S checking of the validity of backups. The failure seems to be in the

    System Image checking.

      - hence the warnings elsewhere to consider returning to simpler A/V protection, etc.

    However, the Error Code is not particularly helpful in pin-pointing the precise cause.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-09-27T14:40:19+00:00

    Well, I can, but I'm really not satisfied with that as a solution - I really want Windows Backup to operate as the fire-and-forget strategy that it claims to be. Therefore, I would like to know if there are known problems with Windows Backup backing up large files.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-08-04T14:33:55+00:00

    Home built or purchased PC from a store/online web site?

    JS

    http://www.pagestart.com


    Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-08-04T13:33:33+00:00

    Thanks for the reply. Originally it was in an external hard disk enclosure but currently it's connected internally. I've run Samsung's full surface scan on all drives and there were no errors found.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2010-08-04T12:44:25+00:00

    Is the backup destination an external drive?

    Also try checking your internal drives:

    Hard drive Testing - Bootable CD:

    If you have a new Seagate hard drive the very next thing would be to download Seagate's Seatools (the bootable CD) and check for bad sectors:http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=SeaTools&vgnextoid=720bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

    For Western Digital drives use WdDiag: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?lang=en

    HD Tune:

    Provides drive info and has an option to test your drive.

    http://www.hdtune.com/

    SpeedFan:

    Monitors internal temperatures and has an online drive health analysis feature

    (SMART tab) for hard drives. It will show how your drives

    compares with other drives of the same make and model.

    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

    JS

    http://www.pagestart.com


    Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments