Windows Backup nearly completes but fails with 0x81000001 error

Anonymous
2010-08-04T12:36:12+00:00

I've been trying for a long while to backup to a 1.5TB hard drive. I have my documents on my E: drive and my Windows 7 installation on my C: drive. Windows backup is set to backup my E: drive and also a system image to my backup I: drive. There's plenty of space on it - it's completely blank.

Every time I try to run Windows Backup, it almost completes, then at the last moment I'm told it's failed with error 0x81000001 - "an internal error", which isn't very informative.

I've run error checks on the backup hard drive and haven't found any problems. Also run sfc - no problems found.

Has anyone any suggestions?

Thanks.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-01-22T22:39:37+00:00

    How to fix Error code: 0x81000001 or 0x81000008 when using Windows 7’s Backup and Restore.

    http://www.pagestart.com/win7br0x8100000101.html

    Sorry I forgot to post the link.

    JS

    http://www.pagestart.com


    Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-12-24T00:32:04+00:00

    There is a file size limit (and I have now documented and verified) for any user data files located in their document folder or library. The value is approrimatly 162GB (Decimal) when using Backup and Restore, any file over this value by design can not be handled properly by a 64-Bit version of Windows Backup and Restore. 32-Bit versions have a lower (about 152GB) file size limit. The problem is directly related to the origin location of the 162GB file and how well it can be compressed. The size of the destination drive is a non issue as I have tried 500GB and 1TB hard drives.

    A plain 'System Image' will allow larger files to be backed up without any problem as long as the file is located in a user created folder in the root of the C: partition (Example: C:\Big file\HomeMovies.avi .

    I'm in the procees of documenting the problem in detail for an upcoming article on my web site.

    I've be running various file size backups almost on a daily basis from morning till night (with a 160GB file you can only do a few backups each day) with both 32 and 64-Bit version and varing size destination drives (both USB and internal) and memory (3 or 6GB) and on two different computers.

    At this time the only solution I can see for your specific case is the compress the file to get it down to 160GB or less OR to only create a 'System Image'.

    JS

    http://www.pagestart.com


    Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-09-26T08:26:02+00:00

    I've made an interesting discovery with Windows Backup. By specifying specific folders for it to back up, I gradually narrowed it down all the way to one particular file that's 160GB in size. If I exclude this file from the backup, it completes successfully.

    It's on an NTFS volume so I expected that it would be able to handle it. Is there a known problem with Windows Backup and very large files?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-09-19T13:33:27+00:00

    By default the backup destination device / partition must have at least 30% more free space than the partition / hard drive you are trying to backup. 

    JS

    http://www.pagestart.com


    Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

    Do you mean the backup destination 30% more free space than the free space of the backup source, or 30% more than theused space of the backup source? In any case, I'm trying to back up about 960GB of data to a 1.36TB drive, so I think I should have enough space.

    I've now tried different hard drives and different cables so I'm strongly suspecting that Windows Backup has some sort of bug in it that's causing it to choke on my backup for some reason.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2010-08-04T15:47:42+00:00

    OK, I noticed that serveral Image Backup software packages have problems when a computer is overclocked, usually lowering the CPU speed fixes the problem. This happens more often with internal hard drives as opposed to USB drives but both types can experience the problem depending on how far your have overclocked.

    JS

    http://www.pagestart.com  


    Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

    Good thought; however, I'm running at stock speeds, no overclocking.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments