How can i stretch my background over 2 monitors?

Anonymous
2009-11-21T23:14:34+00:00

I'm running 2 monitors (extended mode) and when i change my background it gets doubled. I was using win xp pro before and my background was extended on the other monitor but windows wont let me?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-27T00:27:19+00:00

Hi lightningwolf71,

 I was going through some online resources and came across one workaround regarding this issue, hope this helps in resolving the issue.

Follow these steps to display a large image across multiple monitors:

  1. Right click on the Desktop background and select Personalize.
  2. Click on Desktop Background
  3. Select a background image that is at least as wide as the combined resolution of both of your monitors. For Example, I have two 19" monitors that have a resolution of 1280×1024. I need an image of 2560×1024 or greater so that it can be displayed across both monitors.
  4. Select Tile for picture positioning option. This is the only option that will display your background image across multiple monitors.
  5. Select Save Changes.

Your background image now should be displayed across both monitors instead of having the same image displayed on both monitors.

Hope this information was useful.


Naveen

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

400+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-03-25T21:05:26+00:00

    In Windows 7 I had the issue where this didn't work. I also had an issue with different sized monitors. The fix was to reduce the resolution by one pixel for the height of the shortest monitor, and by one pixel in the total width of both monitors.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-09-14T17:57:21+00:00

    You win the Internet today!  However I still have one additional problem that I'm not going to worry about at the moment....  The image is backwards!  As in the left half of the image is on the right monitor and right half of the image is on the left....  Its something to do with my laptop display not being the primary monitor, which displays correctly if I swap the primary monitor setting around.  Makes me wonder if Win10 has this all figured out, but I'll not know anytime soon because I dont think my work is looking to update anytime soon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-09-23T13:48:27+00:00

    I have a three monitor set up at work, and I'm also having the issue of my image incorrectly displaying. My 5760 x 1080 desktop background image is tiled. I'm sure there's a fix I haven't discovered yet, and I'm merely placing this here as a bookmark until I, or someone else, figures it out.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-09-24T23:29:23+00:00

    You get my vote for genius of the day ;)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments