How can i stretch my background over 2 monitors?

Anonymous
2009-11-21T23:14:34+00:00

I'm running 2 monitors (extended mode) and when i change my background it gets doubled. I was using win xp pro before and my background was extended on the other monitor but windows wont let me?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-27T00:27:19+00:00

Hi lightningwolf71,

 I was going through some online resources and came across one workaround regarding this issue, hope this helps in resolving the issue.

Follow these steps to display a large image across multiple monitors:

  1. Right click on the Desktop background and select Personalize.
  2. Click on Desktop Background
  3. Select a background image that is at least as wide as the combined resolution of both of your monitors. For Example, I have two 19" monitors that have a resolution of 1280×1024. I need an image of 2560×1024 or greater so that it can be displayed across both monitors.
  4. Select Tile for picture positioning option. This is the only option that will display your background image across multiple monitors.
  5. Select Save Changes.

Your background image now should be displayed across both monitors instead of having the same image displayed on both monitors.

Hope this information was useful.


Naveen

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

400+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-12T16:16:13+00:00

    Amazing ! I just got 3500 RP code for totally FREE ! Come and download code too

    >> http://RiotPoint.eu/ <<

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-16T19:43:30+00:00

    Thank you for this ingenious solution!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-11-21T21:21:23+00:00

    I had the same problem and the solution wouldn't work for me (UNTIL) I went into the folder referred to above and deleted the file. After locating the file again  (this time not previewing it in Windows Photo Viewer) I just right click on the file and select the option to set as desktop background. went into personalize and selected the option to Tile the wallpaper. Worked great after that. So if you encounter the same issue, and the solution doesn't work find the file in the location Windows Photo viewer creates and delete it.

    And by the way, I have it expanded across three monitors and two of the monitors are connected to USB display adapters, if that matters.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-11-29T17:02:42+00:00

    You are the man! It worked for me as well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments